electric cable size?

I need to make a 2 metre 3 core extension cable for very occasional use with a drill,sander. What is the descriptive term for the cable size as in mm²

Reply to
weel...

If you want to make a 13A one that can run any normal appliance, then

1.5mm^2 flex.

For a light weight lead, protected by a 5A fuse, then you could go as low as 0.75mm^2 (that will be ok for loads up to 1.2kW)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John, its the 13 amp I`ll use. Its just for a couple of small jobs I will be doing shortly and the cable on drill is too short to reach.

Reply to
weel...

Is it actually worth making your own? Unless you are short of space I'd consider getting a small reel for extra flexibility. Or, if you are really sure you only need an extra two metres on your drill, it is usually pretty straightforward to replace the whole drill cable with a suitable length.

Reply to
newshound

Cheaper to buy one.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

On the subject of extra flexibility, for things like power tools, then changing a supplied 2m PVC power lead for a 5m rubber extra flexible one can make a world of difference to their ease of use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Without boring you with detail I do have a couple of flexi reels but they will be used constantly for a few weeks and I just need something to get a couple of jobs done.

Reply to
weel...

Yes good point, I have that on my SDS. Although, increasingly, we can replace mains tools with LiIon. I've found it interesting just how often the basic Lidl cordless angle grinder has enough oomph to replace the mains brutes. And occasionally, reduced speed is handy for more delicate jobs.

Just waiting now for Lidl to have a cordless jigsaw and circular saw to make use of my growing collection of batteries. I didn't get the SDS when they had that, but I don't do much heavy stuff any more.

Reply to
newshound

If you already have the bits lying around, making your own might make sense.

If you have to buy them, ready made will likely be cheaper.

A short length of cable costs a lot more per metre than a full reel. Same with individually packaged plugs and sockets.

Only proviso is I far prefer a nice flexible 'rubber' cable over the usual PVC. And an extension made with that could be hard to find.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The question is, for how long.

I was using a grinder continuously for several hours this summer. You won't get that with Li ion

When I get out my tools, its usually for a major job lasting all day, not for piddling about. I do use the cordless screwdriver for drilling a single hole or decoking the aga - only lasts about 15 minutes tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A few years ago I wanted a longish lead - 50m too long, 25m a bit short and all the 25m ones that I could find were 1.25mm - rated at 13A but that's pushing it over a long run with a 1400W vac + SDS or whatever. Looked at the sheds and then, just on the ofchance, went to Wilkinsons. Asked for a 'bargain' on a 50m reel and got it a fair bit cheaper than the usual places. Made up a 27 - 28m lead. BTW, is there available a 'rubber' socket or, preferably double, that's switched? I'm using old MK metal-clad atm and even got a tuit, eventually, to put bling grommets in the missing knock-outs!

Reply to
PeterC

I was meaning as a permanent change to the power tool, rather than as an extension lead. Thinks like my Makita SDS or Fein multimater came with loverly long rubber leads that makes them so much nicer and easier to use - you can reach anywhere in a room regardless of where the socket is.

Reply to
John Rumm

You will if you are prepared to change batts a few times.

Of all my cordless tools the AG is probably the most rapid consumer of batts. But I have many, and a charger than can handle two at once (also with forced air cooling so you can charge hot batts straight off the tool). So in reality I can work constantly for hours... (I tend to wear out before the supply of power does!)

If I am in the workshop I will go for one of the coded ones either because I want to avoid swapping disks (say cut off wheel on one, flap disk on another), or for long one handed operations since the corded one is smaller and lighter.

With my 18V drill and ID, I did not even bother going for the brushless versions since I find I get loads of run time on them anyway. I suppose if you were using a flap disk on the drill that might eat battery faster.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not that I can see. MK have 4-way strips with one switch for all sockets.

Rapid have metalclad back boxes with no knockouts which are more robust. you drill them to suit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Yes, I bought 50m of rubber flexible cable some years ago and it's brilliant for power tools etc.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That could be better, if a bit OTT - metal in damp grass...

Still metal - I'd like something like Duraplug socket but with a switch. The MK metal takes the knocks but is conductive and could cause damage if dropped.

Reply to
PeterC

I recently bought a 10m drun fron Screwfix (plastic) which has a switch.

Reply to
charles

+1. I have enough that I will be able to recharge them faster than I use them.
+1

Yes, I have several corded AGs for that reason. Typically sanding disk, cutting or grinding wheel, wire brush.

Reply to
newshound

Be careful with reels and high power loads.

There's a certain amount of power loss in the cable. This doesn't normally matter, but it can build up if the reel is left wound up.

My father melted one once!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris