Effect of boiler condensate on Screwfix Sanitary Silicone

Last night the missus discovered our boiler was dripping. As the boiler is in piggy parlour (guinea pigs by the way) then this was of course of highest priority. I was enjoying the BBC Sports Personality of the Year at the time and I am of course lowest priority after the cat and guinea pigs.

My immediate reaction was that the condensate trap was bunged up with debris again and overflowing. Knowing this takes about 20 mins to whip out, rinse under the tap and then reinstall I thought I would be back in time to see who had won.

But this was not the case, the drain plug on the trap was split and the condensate was leaking from there. So with some Screwfix sanitary silicone I completely covered the plug and left it to dry over night.

Reinstalled it this morning and no leaks so far.

So what is the effect of boiler condensate on the silicone, i.e. how long will my temporary fix last?

More importantly, at least to her, what is the effect of dripping condensate on guinea pigs?

Of course now the boiler needs to be moved as it is now not seen as safe for the GPs.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gardener

.. there's a contradiction in terms :-)

The cat certainly thinks so. If you've never read a book called The Silent Miaow by Paul Gallico then I would recommend it as a stocking filler. Alternatively, if you really want to piss her off "101 Uses for a Dead Cat" ought to do it.

Anyway, moving on.....

There was a post from Ed Sirett on this yesterday regarding a Baxi Barcelona that he had attended where the same had happened, except in this case, the wretched appliance was also belching fumes into the room.

You don't say which boiler you have, but if your fix falls out then probably the same will happen. Even if the boiler is behaving well and there is little carbon monoxide, you will be raising the proportion of carbon dioxide in the room if it is not very well ventilated. CO2 is heavier than air and if the little critters are near floor level there may be an asphyxiation risk.

If it were me, I wouldn't rely on it as a long term solution, but go and buy the right part this week before we really get to silly season. The drain does need to be removable for cleaning as well.

The condensate is mildly acidic, but I wouldn't have thought particularly toxic.

I think that a quick and proper fix should restore confidence.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cheers thanks Andy.

I let the missus read you reply and she is ringing around as I type to find someone with the part in stock. Then shes off to collect it. They do have some uses after all!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gardener

email, substitute .nospam with .gl

When shes gone theres your chance to deal with the GPs ;-)

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Only because of a perceived threat to the GPs.

What do they taste like BTW?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Popular fast food in Peru.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Similar to rabbit.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not much meat on them though - sort of like McDonalds really....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

These days most people would ask "what does rabbit taste like?".

Reply to
James Hart

Yes I know. My kids won't touch it, or hare, reindeer or bear.

They are missing a lot.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

My cousin married a farmer's son, she lived with them for 2 years absolutely adamant that she wouldn't eat anything she saw walking around outside. Lamb bought from a shop was fine but there was no way she'd eat home grown produce. Crazy idea if you ask me but she did eventually give in. Now she's hooked on goat.

Reply to
James Hart

Goat's pretty good too.

It's almost as sad as kids thinking that milk comes from plastic containers.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hehe, we all know it comes from Sainsbury's really!

Reply to
Sparks

And the skins are pretty tough. And why they insist on serving them with bananas and those HUGE tasteless corn cobs, I can't fathom.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Andy Dingley writes

Equador surely - served on sticks like lollys

Reply to
Andrew