DVD regions

Interesting. IIRC, Sony was one of those that were most awkward to make region-free (if not impossible).

I have two now-ageing LiteOn recorders and a fairly recent LG, and these were dead easy to change (just a few numbers on the remote control). I also have an elderly £20 Alba player (Homebase once sold them), and despite it saying 'Region 2' one the box, not only plays American Region

1 NTSC discs (as well as Region 2 PAL), but also has the option of outputting either the original NTCS composite video (3.57MHz colour), or the more usual pseudo-PAL (525-line, 4.43MHz).
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not on Linux. Just install the - ahem - 'unofficial' libdvdcss stuff..and Robert is your relative..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think a lot of countries are saying that regionalisation is a form ofimport restriction for a global market, but of course attempt to say that to a struggling indipendent retailer who is not selling his region 2 stuff as its cheaper from outside the uk or europe.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks of reminding me about that site. I just used it to set my Samsung DVD/VHS Player/Recorder, which I got via Freecycle, to multi-region. I already have a multi-region, multi-System multi-Hz, multi-voltage, Toshiba DVD player, but the Samsung is already connected into the viewing system.

Reply to
Davey

...snip...

Thanks of reminding me about that site. I just used it to set my Samsung DVD/VHS Player/Recorder, which I got via Freecycle, to multi-region. I already have a multi-region, multi-System multi-Hz, multi-voltage, Toshiba DVD player, but the Samsung is already connected into the viewing system. ...

Sadly my in-laws Toshiba DVD/video can't be unlocked, but then it's a US model and the US doesn't seem to believe that there could possibly be anything worth watching from outside of the country.

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I was living in the US when I got the Toshiba. There is a company called DVDoverseas, near Chicago, that knows about this stuff. I doubt they could help with unlocking, though. I agree with you on the US insularity, thank goodness for the NPR network.

Reply to
Davey

Ian Jackson wrote: [snip]

Isn't the LiteOn Label used by Sony, too?

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Depends on which dvd player is installed in the computer.

Reply to
F Murtz

Dunno. Doubt it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Just found a local dealer who was happy to sell me a new Toshiba DVD player and convert it to region-free for me (for no extra charge !) - and prove it by playing a region 1 DVD on it.

Thanks to all for the many interesting comments and advice: this newsgroup just gets better and better.

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

In message , Jim Hawkins writes

Out of interest, what is the model number?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Toshiba SD2010KB

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Region-free 'hack' here - looks like 30 seconds work at the most. No wonder you weren't charged!

Ian Jackson

something in writing that says it can be, than to find out later that you can't unlock it & can't return it on that basis.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'm certainly not suggesting that it wasn't a good idea to get the dealer to make the DVD player region-free. [Actually, I doubt if many vendors would have been so obliging.] I simply posted the information to show how easy some of the hacks are. On the other hand, some hacks seem to be quite complicated, and maybe not for the faint-hearted.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I agree!

You don't know till you try.