Duplux scanning solutions ..

In an attempt to make life easier, I already scan a lot of shit (that could easily be emailed ...) that companies and (more importantly) government agencies insist on printing.

In a evocation of the old 80/20 rule, 80% of stuff is fairly easy to put through my HP-4500 ADF scanner/printer.

OK for one sided stuff that fits....

Which leaves the 20% of stuff which is unfeedable.

I was toying with the idea of a duplex scanner. However, they are pretty pricey, and I have a sneaking suspicion they will still be unable to cope with some stuff (staples etc).

In having a look, I saw a book "scanning" solution which is basically a camera on a stick over an A4 size white "bed".

Which set me thinking about the practicalities and pitafalls of knocking up a similar frame in the workshop, and sticking an old phone in a mount as a camera. Then just pass the pages under for snapping into a file.

Curious what folk here think ?

The main issue I see is triggering the "shutter" in an efficient and non- ballachey way. But a smartphone has wifi ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have a duplex scanner (Visioneer Strobe 500 with detachable feeder, probably classed as obsolete now) for ingesting batches of documents.

But I do use a smartphone for capturing quite a few individual pages, the cameras these days are high enough res for most documents, and there are apps to crop/straighten/convert-greyscale/combine etc

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message <qc39hu$46k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com writes

No help, but.........

I have this weird HP Topshot M275 that I bought for an absoute pittance from Staples before they closed because they didn't understand what it was.

It has an arm containing a camera that you raise above the bed. When you scan it takes 6 photos (3 with flash) and then magically it is all combined into the scanned document.

It is, I believe, intended to scan 3D objects but, as far as I know, only has a 2D output to the printer part. As far as I know, it doesn't have a sheet feeder or make it easy to do duplex. I've really only tried the scanner once or twice, but mainly used the printer section as a standby printer. The scanner did work quite well.

AIUI it scans flat sheets, but can be flummoxed by ones that don't stay flat without the usual scanner bed cover.

Reply to
Bill

I have an OKI all-in-one colour laser which does duplex scanning (MC342), it wasn't all that expensive, about £150 I think and it's done everything I've asked of it for quite a while now. It even has Linux software for it.

The duplex scanner is fun to watch as well as working well! :-)

It can't cope with staples and such of course.

Reply to
Chris Green

I've often used a digital camera to capture large documents (eg old house deeds, maps etc). I used a camera tripod to position the camera on a flat sheet of board above the centre of the document, for multiple sheets just use some marking tape on the baseboard to mark the corners. You need to get the camera as far away from the document as possible to reduce distortion, set the highest resulution, then use the camera zoom to frame the document. Depending on light you might need to play with camera exposure and speed settings (if it allows these). My camera came with a remote control, so I could take repeated pictures without having to touch the camera. It worked (and still does) very well.

Reply to
Davidm

This is the way to go. A good one automatically senses if one side of the page is blank and ignores that. They also have a lift up lid for books etc.

Reply to
GB

I do this too; the results are acceptable for most purposes.

There is quite a community of people building book scanners; perhaps some of the ideas might be adapted.

With a frame and a foot pedal, duplex scanning by photography by hand would be fairly quick, and very able to cope with staples etc

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You trade acquisition speed for dimensional accuracy.

OK for just a record, but not for a real 1:1 copy

So? you still cant trigger the camera via it nor yet acquire the scanned image. You need USB for that.

A digital camera will have a cable release type remote socket.

And will have it s digital stiore very easily miuntable on your PC but probaly womt take pictures wilst USB connecrted

Id acuitre and olod but good SLR body and lens with cable reluease and fake up a mount.

My £400 Nikon body (200ZX) is worth about £20 today..so is a cable release and for this sort of work Id get an old manual focus nikon macro lens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funny ... just remembered there's a £300 DSLR camera in the cupboard ...

Now that might be the start of a solution ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sounds like a use for a selfie stick. They usually use a bluetooth button. Just make sure the app will work with the main camera and not just some crappy selfie camera next to the screen.

Reply to
dennis

Don't underestimate smartphone and a good app that can straighten and crop the result.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Similarly for my Brother MFC-J6920 "all in one" inkjet which I bought mainly for A3 printing, but the duplex scanning of individual sheets is not too bad (doesn't always maintain perfect squareness). The results on the flat-bed with books and stapled or clipped documents depends on how "flat" you can get the printed parts.

Reply to
newshound