Dual WAN router

Looking for a router with two seperate ethernet WAN ports and three or four LAN ports (can be a built in switch).

Not interested in bonding the two WAN ports (probaby not possible anyway) but must be able to route traffic for say YouTube/NetFlix/iPlayer etc via one of the WANs and VOIP via the other. Normal traffic can go down either.

Be nice if it was IPv6 capable and still able to do the routing of streaming correctly.

But it'll be using IPv4 so port forwarding with configurable source and destination IPs and ports is required. A DMZ that will only go to one IP isn't good enough.

Doesn't need WiFi.

Abilty to use 3G as a *both* ethernet WAN failover could be useful.

A very quick dig about has found:

TP-Link TL-R480T+ - no IPv6 and a bit basic but only £70. Draytec V2925-K - knows about IPv6, has 3G, nasty curvy top surface.

Budget: I was hoping to be less than £100 but the TP-Link is about the only one down there. A ceiling of £200 is just about do able.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For that Id get something like a crap old PC and whack in one of these and another ethernet card and stuff in a basic linux - debian or summat.

The Natural Philosopher

Just bear in mind that some crap old PCs will use 100-200w, and this will be left on 24/7 presumably. A new HP Microserver uses around 30w, and costs £115.

The difference in electricity costs could easily be around £100 a year.

Reply to
GB

As long as you are capable of using IPTABLES. Unless there is a decent config utility.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

well get an Atom board then ;-)

Actually with a small SSD and no graphics running a small PC is around

40-50W tops.

And you could turn it into a media server and NAS as well!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed - probably.

What is it that's actually desired?

The ability to route between the two WANs simultaneously? Or are they both internet connections, and you want to load-balance, or use one as a failover?

If it's a failover, it's probably easier to look at some of Draytek's routers.

Reply to
Adrian

Which port will you use for a default route? Do you know the addresses of the networks on which YouTube/NetFlix/iPlayer etc sit? Likewise for VOIP.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Write yer own ;-)

Actually I think that there is a web based linux management utility that does that

Its actually remarkably good - or was last time I used it.

Its more routing though than firewalling.

Not trivial to set up, but once set as with most things linux,. its fit and forget

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIUI its a question of 'general web thisaway' and 'voip and hi priority traffic, thataway

I don't think it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rather than the endless task of trying to maintain a list of Youtube/Netflix/iPlayer IP addresses, filter the VoIP traffic by protocol (e.g. destination ports UDP 5060, UDP 3478, TCP 5349) and route those out one gateway ...

Also everything else is tending to be https these days (grr!) so splitting it is more and more difficult.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah! I'm with you now. I think that we may have different ideas of what is meant by old and crap. I've only just thrown out some 286 machines. I think what you have in mind is "almost brand new" in my book. :)

Reply to
GB

you can route on port, rather than IP address so eg. all web traffic (port 80) goes one way, and all VOIP another. Its not trivial to set up tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am a *massive* webmin fan - been using it since 200?

It's probably the single biggest factor in my sticking with Linux after the (in) famous Jethro Mouse incident.

That said, the one thing I haven't used Webmin for is IPTABLES :)

Which is part of the problem. Why spend hours learning something to only be used once ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The Draytek 2925 is a spot on match for the spec. If you stick it in its

19" rack mount bracket then the curvy top becomes less of an issue.

I normally do those for £175 inc VAT. The bracket is rather pricey for what it is at £35, but it makes it much easier to stick in a rack neatly without needing to add a shelf.

I have not tried the TP-Link, but I have used lots of their switches and some of their WiFi APs etc, and they seem reliable and well thought out. I can do those for £66 inc VAT. I don't think that model can do

3/4G directly, although you can configure it to balance up to 4 wan connections, so you could add an external 3G AP with an ethernet presentation such as the TP-LINK (TL-MR3020) 150Mbps Travel-size Wireless 3G/4G Router. That has USB and ethernet presentation. I can do you those for £27.

If you want high end, then the new:

also seems to match the technical spec spot on (and then some)...

However the cheapest I can do those is £299 ex VAT, so you probably won't like the price!

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh, like breast feeding you mean?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Background: Two links one paid for, about 5 Mbps ADSL, static IP and a "raw" internet connection but capped at 100 GB download/month. Another cost free, uncapped but dubious reliabilty and inside a private net walled garden so no incoming connections, unknown speed but hopefully greater than 2 Mbps...

The idea is to shove high data consumption stuff (streaming video(*)) onto the free uncapped link, VOIP over the ADSL so incoming stuff works. Other traffic can either be load balanced but it could all go down the ADSL and not be a problem with the cap.

Ideally the uncapped and ADSL mutually failover, if both go it would be nice to failover to 3G, all automatically. Though I would proably keep the 3G unpowered so it doesn't get used silently.

(*) No.1 Daughter has got used to free, uncapped, internet access after two years at college doing A Levels. If she wants to watch the all the episodes of from 15 series of , she just kicks off a torrent. She was home for two days the other week and got through 20 GB in 12 hours,0 but she just switched the torrent off when I asked her to, no arguement at all. There was a time when such a request wouuld have lead to getting an earful of abuse starting from denying her Human Rights and working up!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Delivered? Below Broadband Buyer if so (ICBA to work out what they want for delivery, there doesn't appear to be a "Free Delivery for purchases over £x").

Looks, no more than a bit of bent metal. I think even my limited metal bashing skills could fabricate something from 3/16" 2 U strip. Or just a bit of 50 mm angle.

Just spotted that the 2925 has an external PSU and WAN3 is USB. B-(

Yep, Ive a £20 TP-Link router wireless AP. The web interface is good, lots of features, it works, I only use it as an AP though.

Having the 3G bit on ethernet would be a Good Thing. I'm not sure which side fo the house has best 3G, USB cable length limitations could be a problem. I've looked at the TL-MR2030 before and that has been on the list of things to buy for along time, along with a dongle and SIM to provide backup to the ADSL. Also the TL-R480T+ has an internal PSU.

Fallen across the TL-R470T+, £30 quid... That's tripped my "there must be a catch" alarm in double quick time! Looks very much like the

480T+ except the connections are on the back not the front.

Wanders off to find manuals to read, so I know what they *can* do, not just what marketing think I want know.

Ah, less grunt (TL-R480T+ / TL-R470T+) Flash:(8 / 4 MB) DRAM:(64 / 64 MB) Concurent sessions:(30,000 / 10,000) and lack of One to One NAT, Multinets NAT and APP Control. This is a domestic set up, mail, web, some (not serious) online gaming from The Lad. I can't see the lack of grunt or those features being an issue.

229 ex! Correct I don't like the price. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the purpose built jobbies around 10 W. Though I think I saw 4 W mentioned for the TP-Link TL-R480T+.

But add case, psu, extra LAN cards, etc. Then an awful lot of work and learning to set up the software... If £30 can buy a suitable box that is more or less ready to go, the ready made box wins.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm using pfSense, which is a FreeBSD-based firewall distribution, running on a PC Engines apu1d4 board. It works a treat.

My hardware configuration is:

apu1d4 board: 4GB RAM, t40E CPU, 3 x GB NIC aluminium case (the board is passively cooled through conduction to the case) Kingston 30GB SSD

12v PSU

4GB RAM is more than is required, and you can save a bit by getting the 2GB version.

30GB SSD is hugely more than is required, but you don't save much by going any smaller, and lots of free space should help the garbage collection.
Reply to
Caecilius

asked

denying

Nail, hammer, head. She's just spent a few months living on her own in a "sheltered" flat(*) fending for herself. She has grown up more in those few months than all of the previous 19 years... I expect the next 3 months will also have a big affect. She's in Costa Rica as a volunteer research assistant at a remote jungle camp that has no power.

(*) Very much like sheltered flats for the aged but for 16 to 20 something year olds. 24/7 staff, support, help, advice, etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice