dryline jointing materials in small qtys

The std 10kg gypsum joint filler bags are too big for small jobs and with such a short shelf life are expensive.

Anyone know where I can get powdered or ready mix something that will do the the usual taped system job - properly

I only need to make about 4m of join.

Oh and if I join dryline to normal browning & finish on brick, do I attempt to tape those joints or just 2 coat up to it?

TIA

Reply to
VisionSet

A small box of Poly-something will do it. Not sure which one is best but a quick read at B&Q should help

Key here is to stop the dryline moving wrt the brick. Even the slightest thermal expansion difference will give a hairline crack. Once that is solved (bolting the battens to the brick is one option) then any old plaster finish should be fine.

Reply to
Mike

Not sure what gypsum joint filler is, but a 25kg bag of finish coat plaster is only around £4. If you keep it in a cool dry place, it should last for a couple of years for small jobs like this. (It will set faster as it gets older, but that's an advantage for small jobs.)

If the wall is already skimmed, you can't really tape the join as the tape will show. Where you've got plasterboard butting up to another sheet of board or some other surface and they aren't fixed to the same support (timber or whatever), the best thing to do is to leave a gap between the board of 1/4 to 1/2", and force bonding coat plaster into the gap such that it ozes through and out the back. This will quite effectively bond the board edge and reduce the chance of any local movement. Then skim over that edge up to the corner. (It's not clear to me if you are skimming all the board, or just the edges -- you wouldn't normally bother with joint filler if skimming the whole board.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew & Mike

Okay more detail, I hadn't decided whether to just fill the tapers or skim the whole boards, I will be using tapered boards so I can do either. If I just fill there must be something special about the joint filler since it is over 10 quid for a 10kg bag - I've got some left from last time but that was about 4 years ago! - would it just set quick or will the strength be compromised as well? I was going to bond the boards to the brick with dabs. Again the same problem with the dabs - 25kg bags at 10GBP a time - not so bad - but I'll only need a quater of a bag at most. The joins between regular 2 coat and the dryline are at a 135 degree corner so it isn't the end of the world if I have to put in a bead of something flexible.

TIA

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

The filler is only for dry lining. Its possible to feather the filler, you cant feather plaster. Also the filler can be sanded more easily and wipe it with a wet sponge to feather it further. I can see no use in it if you are going to plaster over it!

Its available for about £5 per 25kg.

Reply to
mark d

A damp sponge doesn't work on the filler after it has gone off. It will on joint finish, which never goes off. A combined joint filler/finish is available but expensive.

I drylined my kitchen/utility room (dot & dab). It resulted in a much flatter finish for mounting the units on (extra bonding behind where units fit!) and gives extra insulation.

Reply to
<me9