Drum seized, back welded

Hi.

Washing machine drum has seized solid, no movement at all. Unfortunately the outer casing back is welded in place, not unscrewable, making drum removal practically impossible as far as I can see. Theres a 7" or so porthole in the back where the drum main bearing is.

Is it possible to replace this main bearing from this porthole, ie without removing or opening the drum? If so I'm in luck. If not, any other ideas welcome! I've repaired washing machines but havent done bearing replacement before.

Its a Hotpoint Ultima WM71, European style front loader.

Also any recommendations on part suppliers would be good, as I dont fix washers for a living. I'm in Britain.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I did the bearings on a slightly older (I think) Hotpiint. The porthole is necessary for bearing access, but the drum came out the front.

This is what I did, but it may be different for you. Worth a go...very satisfying DIY I thought.

Remove top, timer knob (in my case, anyway) and release door seal clamp. Remove soap drawer and undo screws inside cavity that hold front panel on. Also remove other front panel screws. Remove front panel.

At this point I undid the clips that hold the front of the outer 'tub' on, and removed said front complete with door seal. Drum exposed.

Removed drive belt, jammed drum at back and undid large nut (LH thread I think). Drum then slid (OK, banged) out of front.

More of story by email if you like!

I found the Haynes manual useful (really!).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Does the top not come off like my old Zanussi Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I had a hell of a time figuring this out, but the whole entire top/front comes off my mom's washer, it's a top loader but you may find yours has a similar setup, it was not at all intuitive as I was experienced with the type where the back comes off.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll do another exam and see what options there are first.

Cheers, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton