dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

In article , Maurice W writes

I am currently going through a planning process on a renovation property, at the pre-application discussion stage.

There is no off-road access at the moment and the plan is to make a couple of parking spaces on the area of the front garden.

I spoke to the LA about this and they initially said they had no problems with this but would require a turning area so as to "allow entry and exit in a forward gear".

This would be problematical given the proposed ideas for a side extension to the existing property and so I asked to meet them on site to discuss the options.

I met a council officer who recognised that the position of the property allowed good eyelines in both directions and given that in the 15-20 minutes we were on site about 2 cars passed the property (it is in a quite Wiltshire village, but is on a classified road) she agreed that a turning area would not be necessary. We did also have a look at a few of the neighbouring properties which clearly did not have turning areas.

She has since followed this up in writing.

I don't know if this will help you, but it shows that a common sense approach can be made if the relevant parties are willing.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

I'm bemused as to how six neighbouring houses have gotted dropped kerb permission - they've got even narrower gardens with no way of doing any kind of manouvering.

Maurice W

Write to the couincils asking why & citing the freedom of information act.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Grandfather Rights"? They were probably installed _before_ the new-ish requirement of 'driving in and out in a forward gear was introduced. What they've got is irrelevant to want you want to do _now_.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

That's an excellent reason for driving nose in - but surely no car needs such attention after every trip?

When we had a garage (as opposed to a workshop!) the car was always reversed in unless for maintenance.

Come to think of it, the pit's still there ... wonder what's in it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Hmm. I think we'll continue being known as the miserable Fishers who won't let anyone park outside their drive - it works :-)

Thanks for that,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes but not if it is breaching confidentiality!!

Reply to
Steven