Dripping tap downstairs bathroom - hot - turning off water?

Unfortunately, no isolation valve.

Of course, if I turn off the main stopcock it just turns off cold. Hot water is still stored in hot water tank?

I'm guessing that I need to find some sort of stopcock near the hot water tank outlet?

Reply to
paulfoel

is still stored in hot water tank?

IF you have a mains pressure system then stopping mains will stop all water UNTIL someone opens a tap..then air is sucked into the cylinder and watre comes out..

Be advised this also applies to flushing loos. DAMHIKT.

For header tank systems the answer is crawl into the loft, tie up the ball valve and run the hot tap till the system is drained.

You MAY find a gate valve on the tank outflow (at the top is the outflow) but don't bank on it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The very occasional tap can be fixed without turning the water off. For example, Supataps.

Reply to
polygonum

Or you can put bungs on the outlet of the tank and the vent pipe.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

is still stored in hot water tank?

Given that the hot water exists the top of the tank, you just need to stop cold from entering at the bottom ... turning off stopcock or tying-up ball valve in cold tank in loft ... open the hot tap, you will drain the cold tank but not the hot, that's enough to work on the dripping tap though

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 16 Mar, 20:31, Andy Burns said

Yebbut if you open the hot tap you will drain the cold tank through the hot wasting the hot water. if you find a cold tap fed from the header tank and use this to drain the header tank, your expensively heated water will remain in the hot tank for when you open the stopcock again.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Or do it after having a bath (and turning water heating off)...

Reply to
polygonum

unless you stop the air getting into the hot tank, limiting its supply will not stop it draining

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How is it going to drain from the top? I had to syphon it with a hose when I drilled a flange in the side for the showerpump.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My dad did that, hot water stopped flowing. Cause, drowned rat stuck in the outlet pipe of the storage tank in the attic.

So maybe find a sacrificial rat and there's your answer.

Reply to
Bill

Trust me, I know how you know :(

Turn off the main stopcock and the hot water heating. Do it before bathtime.

After bath (next morning is possible) drain tank via cold tap.

This is not suitable for showers as it may run out half way through your shower leaving you all soapy. DAMHIKT!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Still totally confused...

Hot water tank is upstairs in cupboard. Strangely, I turned water off yesterday for a bit and then back on and hot water taps spluttered a bit.

How does turning off the cold water feed into the house stop water coming out of the hot tank which is full? Don't get it.

Obviously, what I want to be able to do is dismantle this leaking tap...

Reply to
paulfoel

Unless you can find an isolation valve for the hot water - this would normally be a ball valve between the cold water tank and the hot water cylinder, then you would have to drain the cold water tank down by turning off the stoptap and opening a hot tap until the cold water tank was empty.

You will not empty the hot water cylinder - it stays full - the hot water from this tank to your taps is a gravity feed and all you are doing is removing the pressure to the tank (either by the isolation valve or by emptying the header tank). No pressure means no flow and you can remove the hot tap.

Reply to
ARW

water is still stored in hot water tank?

er tank outlet?

unless the loo/tap is higher than the mains hot water tank....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Cold water tank? dont have one....

All we have is a hot water tank in an airing cupboard in the main bedroom. Surely this cant be gravity fed?

Reply to
paulfoel

Yes, I have two in my loft both coming out of the cold tank, one to the cold feeds from the tank the other goes to the bottom of the hot cylinder intake, and thus you can turn that one off to stop hot, but if you need to actually change the immersion heater things get very complicated and you start having airlock problems when you try to start it all up again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They came out when I was a child, and I thought they were SO modern! That dates me. :)

Reply to
GB

It could be gravity fed. It depends what is in your loft!

As others have already mentioned it may be a mains pressure HW tank and have suggested what to do.

Post a photo of what you have.

Reply to
ARW

I have them on the basin in my bathroom, they've never dripped though so haven't exactly made any timesaving ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

On the kitchen tap(s) does your hot spray out with equal force to your cold, or is the hot a trickle by comparison?

Reply to
Andy Burns