Drilling upwards.

I never read sigs.

Reply to
dennis

You wouldn't want me to paint anything. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

You beat me to it - I was going to suggest the same.

You don't really need to replace the pole - you just need to stand the base on some blocks of wood on the window cill so that the whole thing is at the right height. You'll still have to push upwards on the lever - but with a mechanical advantage, and probably in a more comfortable position than if you were pushing directly on the drill. You could even extend the lever by sliding a tube over it, but you'd probably need an assistant to steady the whole thing.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yeah but I went one better...see an update post.

Reply to
George

How far are you from the Medway?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes- I've got one. But you might tell me how to use the cooler on a ceiling. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's usually the best part of my posts. By some way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think the hire companies do them just yet,but you could try. ;-)

George

I bet you're glad you chose porcelain tiles.....

Reply to
stuart noble

I tend to use the mini holesaw style of diamond bit, so a centre punched start isn't much help - I normally start the hole at an angle, then pivot the drill until it's perpendicular to the tile.

My employer pays for my drills ... But in smaller sizes the ones sold by Leyland SDM (Boa, I think) are pretty good and not overly expensive.

I tend to use as high a speed as I can, plenty of water, and only as much pressure as needed - it normally starts off light, then builds up as I decide I'm bored of that hole ...

Haven't - touch wood - been defeated yet

John

Reply to
john.sabine

just curious I have never used anything other than a normal masonry drill to drill a 6 mm hole in a tile, I use a hammer action as well and never broken one yet or spent 10 mins drilling one

Reply to
Kevin

You've not drilled porcelain tiles, then. They are extremely hard - and not all porcelain is the same either. These ones are the hardest I've come across.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn't give an accurate position, though on the rough surface tiles I've got. I centre punch then use a multi-purpose 6mm drill to break the glaze and give a centre for the diamond one. That way I get the hole in exactly the right place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)