Drilling into old VERY hard concrete - or give up and use "no nails"?

Trying to help a friend with a sprained neck mount a 14" tv on a bracket in a 70's flat with internal concrete walls using a standard hammer drill So, the tv isn't THAT heavy, but the concrete is just not giving! I drilled a smaller pilot hole (took 5 minutes to go 1" with a 5mm bit) but when it came to the 8mm bit, really nothing was happening. I gave up after about 15 minutes and 3mm having gone slightly deaf!

Do I: Drive all the way to B&Q and see if there is some super drill bit for ridiculously tough concrete (is there?) , OR, use a good splurge of "no nails" to glue a square of wood into the wall, and then drill into that?

Only problem with that would be how she removes said square of wood when bracket isn't needed or when she moves out and the landlord comes to not paying the deposit...

Reply to
Jonathan

In article , Jonathan writes

Just get yourself a SDS drill and marvel how easy it will make this job.

Last year I renovated my parents old house and I remember him when he used a thump and turn chisel type bit when he tried to put anything else up when I were a lad, and in later years burning out and blunting drills etc.

However with the Makita SDS it was so easy I just couldn't believe it and really it was a pleasure doing hole drilling after that!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Neither. Invest in an SDS drill - either Bosch or DeWalt (cost £80-90). This will allow you to drill into the concrete like butter. However, do make sure that you give the impression to the lady that it is taking considerable effort so that she will think that you are a real he-man. Hopefully, she will be very grateful.

No-More-Nails is not safely adequate for a job like this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It happens that Jonathan formulated :

You need to look up an SDS drill and bit. Expensive for a single use though, but it is the only way. 'No Nails' will certainly _not_ support that kind of weight - fine for holding the wood batten alone, but not for anything attached to the batten.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wouldn't rely on glue to hold a TV bracket. As other posters have said an SDS drill will go through concrete with ease. However an ordinary hammer drill shouldn't struggle that much. Are you sure you are not drilling rebar? If you are, stop before you do structural damage. Move the hole a bit and try again.

Reply to
dennis

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com laid this down on his screen :

So what's wrong with SDS ? :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Cheaper to buy a step ladder and place it on that,no need to drill wall then. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Or get those spectacles with a prism in, intended for watching telly in bed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It sounds like you had found the steel. Even an SDS won't drill through that.

You might try a steel drill but be prepared to throw that away. But it will be cheaper than buying an SDS then finding you still have the problem.

Where exactly is the concrete?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I've got an SDS jigsaw. It used to cut quite well.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In that case, you can usually see bits of metal swarf on the tip of the drill bit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oh it will -- rebar in concrete is not a problem for SDS. Of course, that's a really bad thing to do in a lintel, where you often have only a single rebar anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Tungsten carbide has no magnetic properties, so I doubt that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Wow - so many replies, I was expecting maybe one. OK, to deal with each in turn, firstly...thanks to all!

In the dividing wall between two rooms - a pipe finder didn't beep, so I'm assuming that means no reinforcing there. Or did you mean where as in "SW1"?!?

Tried that too!

I know, they're pretty good for power tools - I bought a load a few months ago. I see you had success with an SDS drill from Aldi too:

'll have to keep an eye open for their next special on that!

Definitely not!

Reply to
Jonathan

Were there any pieces missing or was it all in your head?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You can hire an SDS drill from a tool hire shop which should do the job. Just checking - your drill wasn't in reverse was it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh, no he didn't - This was written by Chris Bacon :-

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave formulated the question :

...and the tunsten carbide bit is attached to what material?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

SDS stands for the initial letters in German of (something like) Insert, Twist, Lock. It was invented by Bosch and refers to a method of fixing a drill bit or blade. The letters don't have anything to do with pnumatic hammers although we use them that way.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hire such a useful tool???. Haven't got a birthday coming up?, make an excellent present to yourself!.

Reply to
tony sayer