Drilling holes in a car number plate.

Last time I drilled a hole in a car number plate for a mounting screw the drill caught on the plastic and put a crack in the plate.

How do I make sure that I don't make the same mistake?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Light pressure on the drill. If you go through from the back, it's less likely to tear the backing from the plate.

Or use the sticky pads.

Reply to
Adrian

Place the number plate on a scrap block of wood and drill through the plastic into the wood.

Light pressure, sharp drill.

Reply to
Lee

Slow speed sharp drill and take it gently. Start with a small drill and work up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Read and act on this

unknown

I fit quite a lot of plates (due to towing_ ... just drill a clearance hole for screw ... sharp drill with wood support underneath. Drill's easy enough.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Block of wood against the plate, drill through the plate into the wood.

Reply to
Chris Bartram