drilling cast iron?

(For those who've been following the thread "taps for roll-top ci baths?" with barely-contained excitement here is the sequel* ;-)

Can anyone offer any advice on drilling holes (about 20 - 25mm dia) in a cast iron bath for taps holes? Step drill? Hole saw?

  • having drawn a blank on suitable taps costing less than an arm & a leg it occurs to me to blank off the existing holes in the vertical surface of the bath and drill new ones in the roll-top horizontal surface. Since the bath is going to be resurfaced (not enamelled) a spot of mesh + car-body-filler before the resurfacing should do the trick.
Reply to
John Stumbles

I've drilled cast iron before with bimetal hole saws with no problems - just take it slowly and it works fine.

Reply to
Grunff

can you not find something at a reclaim yard?

Reply to
N. Thornton

car-body-filler

Yes just use a hole saw take it slow do not use any cooling Cutting Past As Cast Iron is self Lubricating BigGuyUK

Reply to
BigGuyUK

I have used a grit edged hole saw on a CI soil stack. It was not quick but it did the job. So that is likely your best bet but you'll need to make a

7mm (?) guide hole first. I'd try sacrificing a 3mm HSS bit first then brooch (sp?) out with a TiN coated HSS bit.

I've not tried this but I would think that a light weight diamond hole saws intended for glass/tiles should make a neat job. But they are £70 for _one_ bit + accessories extra. (26mm diam). Also you don't need the hole that good.

Like wise a heavy duty diamond core drill is about £30 + bits; but you'd have to make a 12mm hole first. (28mm diam - which I think is the size you want for clearance on 3/4" BSP)

Cobalt alloy holesaw - Apparently suitable for the hardest metals.???

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Why not do it the old fashioned way and screw the taps to the wall instead? Far less work than carving CI up.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

For smaller holes the spear ended drills intended for tiles and ceramics also work well on cast. Might be a way of getting a pilot hole for something bigger...

Reply to
John Rumm

Planning to put the bath in the middle of the room

Reply to
John Stumbles

How about mounting them on standpipes then? You can put many taps on threaded standpipes if you can deal with the floor mounting and water feed, of course a BSM may be more tricky - where does the showerhead stow when not in use? Two more possibilities to add to your list... BSM103 at

more realistically,

Toby

Visions of pipes coming down from the ceililng with taps on the end in mid air :) The taps would be the shower as well then

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Aldi had some sets of those last week for =A315. I didn't buy one as I hardly need them...

Lucky not to hit a hard bit in the iron.. if you do hit a hard patch (white iron) then that's it, unless you have special tools.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built