Dremels

yawn

Reply to
meow2222

As it happens, that's the first thing I ever used my Dremel for.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah - I think I know what you mean - the bits you break out? I hardly ever use plastic boxes - but when I have a quick rubs with a file does it. Hardly worth the bother of any power tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

inherited a box full of die-grinder tools, and had no idea what half of them were for, until I looked at your(?) page just now.

I keep forgetting to check the good ol' UK.D-I-Y Wiki for stuff!

John

Reply to
Another John

Absolutely. I found that, once I got them, the number of jobs they presented themselves for rose sharply. Other methods would have been tedious, time-consuming and just bloody awkward.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A back pocket in a condom? It'll never catch on.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I think the only times I've used one were for car jobs, too - once to get some of the tatty paint off some alloys so that I could respray them, and once to enlarge the ports on a cylinder head.

For anything else there always seems to be a larger tool that can do the job - and I find that I can be amazingly precise with an angle grinder when I need to be.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I would have though they could catch on all sorts of things... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I find a small burr is quite a good way of cutting freehand in softer plastics. Like when I wanted to cut a hole out of a plastic bin for this:

's and old Maplin "Titan" drill which is relatively low speed compared to some die grinders).

The dinky felt wheels I found are quite handy when furniture making for waxing and polishing "frilly" bits like on:

John Rumm

although that's ancient - but a job which could be done by a Dremel type thing. So I do use them a lot for what I'd call hobby stuff.

My point is I can't really think of anything I've used them for which could be called general DIY. There are more suitable devices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)