Dremel type hobby drill

My brother asked me about a hobby drill - and I'm not well up on what's around these days as I'm happy with the ones I've got. He mentioned Dremel

- I think them overpriced for what they are.

Mains (low voltage) would be fine since it won't move from his hobby bench. Any best buys?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lidl are doing a Parkside one from 23rd Jan. 16.99ukp with a selection of bits n bobs.

HTH

Reply to
Jim White

Die grinders. There are lots of small low voltage ones that are pants, not really useful for any bit bigger than engraving bits.

NT

Reply to
NT

=A0 London SW

Know someone who engraves stones, artistic rather than memorial, he`s on to his third dremel in 5 years, of heavy abuse, if they`re used heavily they are well made.

Lidl one coming up is missing the vital flexi drive, mebbe Aldi`s is due in soon.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Similarly, site metallurgists use them when examining welds. Expensive, but they tolerate abuse. For domestic use a Draper or Lidl/Aldi should be OK.

Rechargeables can be useful (e.g. on the car) but battery life not very good. Get a mains one for continuous use or if you don't need portability

Reply to
Newshound

I have a Lidl re-chargable and it's pretty good - although much larger than a corded one. But has a poor charger - it charges fast but cooks the batteries if left on. One use it gets quite a bit is to grind the rust out of a stone chip on the car - using a diamond burr - before touching up . And the batteries have a good enough life for that.

The Lidl corded one looks ok - and a lot cheaper than a Dremel. I've found Lidl power tools fine and excellent value. And it has a three year warranty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)