Drain Gulley Construction

Can anyone please confirm my thoughts on a drain gulley?

I was clearing a gulley yesterday and noticed some braided packings in between the gulley and the drain pipe below. Half of the packings appeared to be missing, leaving a gap of about 10mm between the gulley and pipe around half of the circumference.

Questions:

Is this packing usually there, or is it a bodge to fill a gap made at installation or subsequently? The standing water level in the gulley appears to be just below this joint in this and other gulleys. Am I right in thinking that the level of the trap is set such that standing water is below the gulley to pipe joint? I presume that I should be trying to re-seal the joint. If so, should I remove remaining packings or try to gob round? What sealer should I be using if at all on the remaining open joint?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster