Downlighters overheating

Common problem I find is GU10 downlights not working. 90% of the time its the chocky block connecting them to the output wires of the transformer - it basically melts.

These always seem to be inside a plastic box attached to a metal upright that leaves the box directly over the lamp so the heat can get to it more easily :-)

Seems a much better idea to keep the chocky well away from the heat of the lamp. The plastic box they are in doesn't seem to offer any protection to the chocky.

Is there a reason for this design?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

cost ? ....

I moved all of mine to ceramic choccy blocks .... but those in upstairs ceilings still overheat, and transformer cuts them in/out once they have been on for about an hour.

I did follow advice and used large 12" ceramic flowerpots over the fittings, to give an air space around fitting (keeps insulation away .. also use cool bulbs, (non dichroic) but still they overheat.

Reply to
Osprey

Yes, and the reason is so that when they burn out, you have to go and buy a new one. Gone are the days when goods are manufactured to last, nowadays everything is throwaway and I'm sure manufacturers put deliberate flaws into their goods to ensure future sales, certainly electronics manufacturers do this, but supermarkets operate a similar approach WRT selling vegetables - they keep them in storage until they are almost rotten, then put them on the shelves, so if you buy veg for a Sunday dinner on a Thursday for example, you throw them away on Sunday morning and go and buy new ones, I say new because they're definately not fresh

Reply to
Phil L

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

If they were really GU10s, they wouldn't need a transformer, would they?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson