Doublecheck

I was thinking of changing the mixer tap on our bath to one of these beasties from Screwfix:-

used one of these? If so are they any good?

Second question:

The current hot water system is a standard gravity fed system with header tank and indirect cylinder, with 22mm feeds to the bath taps. However I am planning to fit a combi shortly and do away with the tanks. Which would then result in mains pressure/fed hot and cold water being fed to the taps.

Would I be right in thinking I would need to fit double check valves before the taps? (since the shower head on the new mixer could come into contact with "grey" water)?

If so, do I need one on the hot tap as well, or does a combi normally include one in its design?

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought you only needed a double check valve on the incoming mains supply, not on every appliance around house.

Reply to
BigWallop

Good point - could fit that when I put in the combi I suppose...

Reply to
John Rumm

Can't comment on that tap. But the one tap in a house that I've tended to have problems with installing/deinstalling is the bath tap.

Invariably space is very tight at the end of the bath because the bath is up against the wall. Whilst I've got the basin wrench and adjustable basin wrench (with the rotating head on the end of a short pole) I've never been that comfortable working in that area.

I guess plumbers have some sort of magic spell to cause those taps to install :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

My magic spell is (I hope) that it's on a corner bath! So you pop the panel off the side, and the taps are right in front of you....

Reply to
John Rumm

Izzy-wizzy-let's-get-bizzy..... ;)

Did I watch a bit too much of Sooty and Sweep when I was young, or what? ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Mine's a bit more Anglo-Saxon than that ;-)

I have a box spanner for turning the taps' backnuts - as far as I'm concerned basin wrenches can go where the sun don't shine.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Bob the builder / it'll cost yer Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Reply to
John Stumbles

I have box spanners too. Problem is that the box spanner won't fit over the tap-to-pipe nut when the pipe is in place, and that's the one I have most difficulty with.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

A pipeslice helps here :-)

You didn't want to re-use the copper pipe & tap connector anyway, did you?

I usually put in a service/isolation valve (full bore if on a low pressure system), a couple of feet of plastic pipe (non-barrier type) and a pushfit tap connector which can be tightened by hand, when replacing taps.

-- John Stumbles

-+

Reply to
John Stumbles