Double/single box for brick/plaster wall

Is there such a things?

I.e. I'm looking for something like this:-

but for fitting into a plaster on brick/breezeblock wall.

... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to each other?

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly between the two.

Would it be permissable to fit a dry-lining box (like the one above) in a plaster/brick wall? It would need a bit of bodging to fix it but would finish properly between the two accessories.

I haven't got enough space really to leave enough gap to avoid disintegration of the plaster between the two boxes.

Reply to
Chris Green

assuming you use socket plates with straight edges, you shouldn't see the gap between the two units, so just cut a big hole. Measure carefully when you install the boxes. You could always fill the gap between the two with something from a mastic gun afterwards if it bothers you.

Reply to
charles

Take two metal back boxes, screw on the faceplates, line them up, measure the gap between and cut a spacer of wood to that size. Blank faceplates would work well here as you could lay them on their front.

Otherwise, IMO, there's no reason you couldn't use a plastic one or they'd not be legal for use in plasterboard.

Reply to
Scott M

Yes. No doubt others but this is what I've used

Reply to
Robin

That's a new one to me.

Cheers.

Reply to
ARW

why?

Add PVA, reinforce it with metal or plastic mesh - or just cover it with gapless faceplates.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are such things, but not that commonly used IME.

That works.

Why so? You have plenty of depth in the gap, so its easy to pack with plaster or filler and have it stay put.

Can't see why it would disintegrate. You will need a 1cm gap or so to allow for the overlap of the face plates.

Reply to
John Rumm

Aha, thanks! I'd looked at Screwfix etc. but didn't think to try TLC.

Reply to
Chris Green

TLC sell 'bridge' units that connect any two standard metal boxes together at the right spacing for the plates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FSVO plates, possibly.

Personally I dislike abutted flush faceplates.

A couple of conduit bushes and a coupler will tie boxes together nicely.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Done that plenty of times on the surface.

Reply to
charles

Not quite sure what FSVO is.

It's sometimes necessary.

With surface mount metal boxes, yes. But with flush, why bother unless wanting the plates to touch?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For Some Value Of

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

Smart. The two sides look isolated from each other, would it be permissible under the regs to use this for power (double socket) and data (e.g. ethernet)?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Do please note though what they say about only using them with "White Accessories".

Reply to
Robin

Looking closely I don't think they are

Yes if there's a divider or if both cables are insulated for the higher voltage.

High-voltage ethernet cables should be available

(American site)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog