Double Glazing (Section)

Friends, Nearly 4 months ago my wife and I moved into our (new) home and recently we have discovered that one on the double glazed window sections has lost it's seal and is now opaque due to moisture ingress.

Anyone know of a company that can supply such sections without replacing the whole window section?

We have no idea who made the windows originally and they have been in approximately 5 years according to neighbours.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

Just look in local Yellow Pages for Double Glazing factory. Tell them the size you require at the right thickness and get one made to suit

Reply to
RW

If you mean one of your units has failed then yes, you can get it replaced simply by ordering a new one. I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to 'sections'

Reply to
Phil L

Oh well you must be thick! He means sections as in the bits of glass that make up the whole area of glass to fit the frame. You can get an opening or two, or divides. Any double glazing company should help you out. It might also be possible to repair and reseal that section depending on how bad the fault is. I would pick a smaller company for this as the bigger ones will want to do all the windows, doors, gutters, roof and god knows what else.

Reply to
Ian

Why not look at carrying out a DIY repair to your existing glass, assuming it is only suffering internal condensation....

I have heard of this method working quite well.

Take the panel out and put some suitable silicon sealant all the way around the existing seal. Drill holes in opposite corners through the seal then use a fish tank pump, one pump port connected to each of the holes to recirculate the air through the panel. Get hold of some silica gell, put it in a plastic box with a lid and cutting the pump pipe so the air flow passes through the box. Silica gell will absorb all the moisture and it can be revitalised by simply cooking the gell in an ordinary oven to dry it out. Warming the glass will quicken up the process. After a few hours of this the panel should be perfectly dry internally.

Seal up the two holes as you remove the pump pipework. If your glass is now acceptably clear, look for a means to create a slight vacuum between the panes of glass. Get hold of a large syringe needle, or some small bore pipe and drill another hole which is a tight fit for the pipe. Evacuate the air enough to create a reasonable negative pressure, then put a good blob of sealant around the tube as you remove it, so it seals immediately the tube is pulled out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As someone else has said, go to a local small dg firm and ask their advice. I did all my double glazing about 20 years ago and the frame identity was type 22. For all I know, each frame type might vary, but I have no idea. The company you go to will explain all this and also tell you how to measure for a new double glazed unit (the glass bit).

I changed the glazing units in my lounge about 5 years ago for just the same reason as you. As the main window is so large, they advised me to choose thicker glass.

If this is of any use, the glazing bars should be on the inside. Remove the rubber seal from the g / bar and then use a scraper, between the bar and the frame to prise it out to remove the glazing bar and then put the seal back into the g / bar, so as not to mix them up.

To refit the g / bar, I would recommend that your smear the seals with a fairly strong solution of washing up water. Fit the glass and get someone to hold it in place, smear the rubber with the water solution and fit the shorter glazing bars first. Fit the corners into the frame and you should end up with a bowed glazing bar. Using a bolster chisel across the plane of the glass, get the bar to snap in. Work from both ends and be prepared to use a lot more force than you think you will need, to get the bar to go back into the frame. Bolster should be flat against the window along it's length. Put a piece of card or thin wood between the part of the bolster that you are going to hit, to prevent any scratches to the glass. Then you can use this to slide the hammer across it.

Providing you have ordered the right size of glass, you should be done in around 30 minutes, unless you are working up a ladder.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It never ceases to amaze me on how dumb I can really be over these things!

I should have thought of Yellow Pages first and foremost, I am always suggesting it to others!

My apologies to all, thankyou for the replies and suggestions.

Happy New Year, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg