Door Arcitrave (no room)

changes to staircase position has forced the placement of doors close to wall edges Just the door frame is all I have to play with on one side so, whats the attractive solution with architrave? Obviously 1 side and the top are fine. I've thought of ripping just 10cm's if the architrave to give the impression that it sinks into the wall, other than that, I have no idea. (quarter round section is not an option its horrible!) TIA

Reply to
Vass

That's probably the best solution. If you can't match all three sides with an identical smaller moulding, and it sounds like you can't, then it's better to use a section of the same one ripped to the width.

It's one of these things that you will notice now because you are focussed on looking for a solution, but which will tend not to be noticed after a while.

One thing that you can do is to avoid using highly contrasting colours for the woodwork and the surrounding walls when you decorate.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thats exactly how mine was done, looks ok A:

Reply to
al

If you can insert/nail another piece of door frame over the existing piece that is fixed to the wall you should get it proud off the wall about another

3/4. If you do this measure the opening to make sure its wide enough for all everyday type of furniture to go through?
Reply to
George

No architrave at all. Just tack a bit of hard oak all round. Us decorators caulk to tidy up junction with wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have one like that, which has architrave top and one side only, with just the door casing on the other side: looks fine.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yup, done that, looks ok.

(so does no architrave at all when the frame adjoins the wall directly)

Reply to
John Rumm