DIY Screen wash

Anyone out there know a cheap DIY way of making screen wash?

Seem to be getting through gallons of the stuff at present (as yo would expect) and always seem to be caught out and have to pa extortionate petrol station prices for it!

Have now bought a few litres from halfords, but there must be a cheape way

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Industrial meths, a few drops of washing up liquid and water has worked well for me in the past - but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:50:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote: | but TBH if you shop around the 5l containers of | 'proper' screenwash aren't that expensive. Not worth the hassle IMO.

But watch out for the strength. Some is for use undiluted, some is 1:4 and some is 1:9.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I've found halfords good for gallon cans of fairly strong stuff. The only thing they are good for in fact. Otherwise recommendations vary, but normally include meths, washing up liquid (or car shampoo without wax) and sometimes vinegar.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Lidl near here still have a few 5l. plastic containers of concentrated screenwash, which seems to be OK. Comes in a container with a special spout.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I still have 5 litres of concentrate which I got from CPC last year on special offer. (The first consignment they sent me burst in the courier's van, apparently...)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yeah, the "ready to use" is a bit of a rip-off, buying 4.5 litres of water and 0.5l of screen wash. No no no, that won't do for a short-armed Yorkshireman. I get mine at Morrisons, 2.99 for 5 litre of concentrated stuff, dilute

1:3 through 1:9 according to seasonal demands. Must get some more this week, last year's finished off and rapidly draining the tank in the car with this grotty weather. Actually the biggest pain last week was frozen washer jets, must have a google for some heated after market jobs. Anyone seen any?
Reply to
Steven Briggs

General advice seems to be not to use washing up liquid - it uses salt a as thickening agent which can accelerate corrosion in the bodywork.

Reply to
Rob Morley

At this time of year is the tiddly bit of salt in washing up liquid going to be a problem when you have vertiable crystal forest growing on the windscreen? B-)

I don't need to buy screen wash. The car goes between services without running out, I have some some where bought ages ago but normally go for meths washing up liquid and I may try a splash of vinegar. Mind you since I Rain-X'd the windscreen it wipes and clears much better than any windscreen I have every had to look through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Lidl stuff is fine (And cheap!)

The problem with washing up liquid is that it will clog your washer jets eventually. Oh, and it contains salt.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

With the roads covered in salt for three months a year or more the tiny amount contributed by screenwash made up with a squirt of washing up liquid is not even worth considering. This time of year after a

100 miles drive you could probably wash the car with seawater and end up with less salt on the car!
Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Don The Duck

Degrees.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Halfords is a ripoff. Go to a tradeish place like Partco.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Schneider

They chuck it down the drain cos it's too rough to sell as malt and cannot be cut to give a blend. Aparently anything over 110% must be disposed of cos the Revenue would tax it at a higher rate or something. Awww!!

Reply to
Don The Duck

I don't know about these Scottish refinery places but when I worked at a brewery all alcohol was taxed the moment it left the building. Unless you are driving around within the distillery I don't see how you can (legally) get your screen wash cheap - and a visit by custom & excise is worse than a visit by the police. ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

Not quite all. There's an untaxed percentage allowed for the "angels' share" in a Scottish distillery.

Or at least there was, I daresay Gordon Brown (son of the manse IIRC) is now taxing angels.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Screwfix - Cheap as chip