diy rack for oven problem

The metal racks do not become hot from the microwaves, but in early microwaves that didn't use turntables or steer the microwaves, all the microwaves would come from one direction and bounce around until absorbed and the metal racks could shield the food preventing it cooking properly. Also if any metal in the microwave comes close enough to any other metal, the gap between them will spark madly.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We use one of these:

works fine with microwaveable/ceramic containers and fits neatly over a plate so you can, for example reheat a meal and cook something else at the same time. It wouldn't work if you used those microwave containers designed to "brown" food because they get extremely hot.

Out microwave was supplied with two wire racks that permit food to be stacked when using it as a combination oven. Although chrome plated wire they don't "spark" in the microwave. So umm, I'd say check what comes with the next microwave that you buy. Some of them are better for that sort of stuff than others.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "john royce" saying something like:

Pyrex casserole dish lid, turned upside down, is just the thing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Some people are so *opinionated* dont you think? The original question was not 'just' about saving money, (which if you are not a merkin, might actually have consequences) sometimes its just more convenient to cook as much as a microwave will take; which often is not all that much anyway.

Our cooking rarely if ever gets frozen, so why introduce to others such aspects as this that your over active mind uneccesarily produces? You readily call someone else a nutcase for asking a valid food related question, but empty vessals make the most noise, and you certainly qualify wouldn't you say? Its always a big problem in (therapy) groups that the shallow and opionated want to *hog* everything. when two or more empty vessals start talking to each other they succeed and then spoil the newsgroup for others. Why dont you look at yourself?

Reply to
john royce

John, your message was lost after "merkin". Lose that word and you'll be listened to more closely.

Reply to
sf

oh you're gonna fit right in with AmandaF/Mandy Ruby. You both sound like twits.

Reply to
Goomba

I'd suggest you ask your question in

rec.food.cooking rec.food.equipment

or if it's that important, try to find a bigger microwave/combo unit

or why aren't you just using a regular/convection unit

(btw I actually don't have a full sized one but use a counter-top convection/toaster unit for lots of my meals. I also have an advantium microwave/convection oven but I don't really like it and am hoping to switch it out for a full sized convection oven)

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

News and Discussions Platform of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
spendwize.com

But in the present case it's you who doesn't comprehend the facts... that it's a combo has not a whit of bearing... the oven cooks with microwaves, the conventional radiant energy portion functions to brown. When the radiant energy produced by the conventional portion is blocked by over crowding the microwaves will overcook the food way before it browns. With those combo ovens it's far more important not to over crowd than with single function ovens.

Reply to
brooklyn1