DIY madness, or are exposed RSJ's the fashion ?

No there isnt.

Reply to
Jeff

In the admittedly unlikely even of a house fire where the floor had indeed collapsed, that maybe isn't the kind of picture you'd want your insurer to come across, however many years later.

But there again estate agents are having a really hard time of it now, so what exactly do people expect for their ?3,000 ?

michael adams

michael adams

And does /every/ house on rightmove need to have a sign on the walls commanding people to "have fun, smile and be nice to each other"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It took just over an hour to bring down one of the trade centre towers. Its not clear how much of the fire protection was stripped from the steel but it was probably a lot as it was flimsy stuff.

The fire was probably more intense than most kitchen fires but the steels were thicker too.

Reply to
dennis

That's like asking whether every post by a brexiteer has to have insults in it rather than them posting a good news story about brexit.

Reply to
dennis

Exactly my thought. I imagine it would happily withstand 30 minutes of chip-pan fire. Different story of course for multi-story industrial or office premises.

Reply to
newshound

Was it the fire that brought the towers down or the impact of the planes. On 9/11 I was listening to a structural engineer on Radio 4, who said he reckoned they had less than an hour before they collapsed. My memory is that it was due to the impact.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If it were due to the impact, surely they'd have collapsed immediately?

Reply to
GB

Apart from fire rating etc, the RSJ looks an abortion of a job on the top of the pillar wall where the clock is. Why it couldn't be made to look better is beyond me

Reply to
RobH

He was wrong. I said they would come down even though several structural engineers said they were designed to withstand such an event. It was fairly obvious to me that they were not designed for such an event.

They collapsed because the steel holding the floors softened and the floors fell onto the one below causing a cascade failure.

Reply to
dennis

I don't think having thousands of gallons of jet fuel poured into the central structure of the buildings helped much either.

Reply to
John Rumm

From what I've seen on TV and read elsewhere, they were designed to withstand impact by an aircraft, but it was only considered likely that smaller, private aircraft would be off-course enough to hit them. It was never considered that a large passenger jet, carrying so much fuel would hit them or that the impact of a large and fast jet would shatter much of the fire-resistant coating off the steelwork.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

And would the insurance co pay up ?. Somehow I doubt it. Could be an expensive mistake.

Reply to
Andrew