DIY automatic watering system ideas?

I have used a reclaimed washing machine valve for watering control for about five years. It's mounted in a box near the outside tap, and yes I was concerned about mains in a wet environment.

My solution is to use two 12V mains transformers, one in the house fed from a timer in the conventional way feeding switched 12V AC to the garden, and the other used in reverse at the valve, ie 12V AC in and 240V AC out to the valve. This means that although the valve is fed with nominally 240V AC it is floating, not referenced to earth, current limited, and all enclosed locally. The feed between the two transformers is safe at 12V AC, and can be on whatever connectors are available without worrying too much about waterproofing.

This arrangement has worked fine, with all bits sourced from the bits and pieces box. If I was starting again from new I would probably use 24V transformers, but otherwise this may be a useful solution with many/most of the parts available free for collectors of electrical "junk".

Charles F

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

IOW, a utility room with a washing machine in it...

Reply to
Huge

Absolutely :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What, you think I should stork it ?

Reply to
geoff

You're all a bunch of loons.

Reply to
James Hart

No you just need to swan around for a bit.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm not swallowing any more of this.

Reply to
Huge

Is that the best you condor?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Isn't it time you stopped crowing on about all this

Reply to
geoff

You're robin my joke book.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | geoff wrote: | >>>>> A heron aid perhaps...... ?? | >>>> What, you think I should stork it ? | >>> You're all a bunch of loons. | >>Is that the best you condor? | >Isn't it time you stopped crowing on about all this | You're robin my joke book.

You're all just swanning around and ducking the real question here. Someone'll start grousing about off-topic postings next.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This has turned into quite a lark, wren will it all end? (Ducks)

Reply to
Toby

This is just falcon silly

Reply to
geoff

No need to be unpheasant about it.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

We could always get IMM to dance the flamingo......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bittern off more than he could swallow, and lived to egret it.

Reply to
Toby

Sorry, the brud of paradise is one step too far

Reply to
imm

Quite a lark isn't it? Someone else's tern .....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | We could always get IMM to dance the flamingo......

At least /dancing/ the flamingo's legal ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain