Disposal of Mercury

Thanks for the tips in your last paragraph.

One point I should make though is that my original post was more about inviting people to give their own perspectives of the wider issues rather than criticising an individual who may well be both inadequately trained and under the sort of pressure under which detail goes by the board.

djornsk

Slagging off is more fun though :-)

Reply to
newshound

their approved method for handling waste mercury.

And isn't it quite expensive. I'd have taken it to a chemist rather than a scrap metal dealer.

I'd be worried where the murcury ended up, would it have leaked fromm their= skip while travleing along the road, maybe it'ds get back into the envirmo= ment, maybe sopmeone wil, find it in teh road and play with it, or perhaps = it'd just sink back into the soil......

I'd be very worried if I saw anyone discard murcury in the way the scrap de= aler did, then again maybe he does to the same with plutonium so why worry = about mercury ;-) =20

Reply to
whisky-dave

10p a gramme on ebay

Owain

Regarding mercury being a hazardous substance:

When I worked in the NHS in the days of glass mercury thermometers they spent a fortune installing Mercury Scavenging Kits on each ward to safely collect the mercury in the event that a thermometer was broke. Prior to that we just used a dustpan and brush.

I recently tried to sell a clinical glass mercury thermometer, which only contained a very small amount of mercury, and that triggered the following email from the 'Elf 'n' Safety Brigade:

Dear ...

I work for the Chemical Compliance Team within the Environment Agency. We are responsible for the enforcement of the REACH Enforcement Regulations

2008. As the thermometer you have for sale may contain mercury you may be committing an offence under the regulations. REACH bans the placing on the market of measuring devices containing mercury for sale to members of the public. Clinical thermometers cannot be sold to anyone. This restriction came into force 3 April 2009, so you may not be aware of it. If this device does contain mercury please remove it from sale, if it doesn't contain mercury please reply to this email with confirmation of this. Marketing goods in contravention of REACH is an offence for which enforcement action could be taken. Please reply to this email and provide me with your email address so that I can provide links and information to assist you.

- chemicalcompliance

So, work it out for yourselves!

Reply to
Rob Miller

ted the mercury into a glass jar which has been living in the shed. I recen= tly became a bit bothered about the potential risk should someone disturb i= t when I am not around, so decided to take it to the local recycling centre= after establishing that they would accept it so long as it was inside a se= aled container. To my supply the attendant took the jar and instead of taki= ng it to a secure cabinet as I expected just threw it in the metal recyclin= g skip. I can understand that mercury is a metal but so is plutonium and on= e wouldn't expect that to be thrown in with the scrap. Perhaps the explaina= tion lies in the fact that the risks are to a degree mitigated by mechanica= l handling and adequate ventilation from the time the scrap is deposited in= the skips, or alternatively the handling and storage precautions ISTR from= my schooldays were OTT. j

When I was in a similar situation I found there were barometer enthusiasts = keen to come and collect it from me.=20

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

1/13th of cu cm, so a blob on a surface about 5mm dia (ish).
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hang on. Either he already has your email address, or he doesn't - in which case you aren't going to get the email! (or was this actually an eBay, or similar, "secure message"?)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes, but not, I'll wager, via your cabbages and potatoes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes; a round "Fuck off and shove it up your jacksie", would have emanated from yours truly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This was via Ebay. However, Ebay had already ended the listing before the Chemical Compliance Team spluttered into action because they "don't allow mercury-containing products to be posted, but it is OK to offer them for pick up".

But, the Chemical Compliance Team "don't allow the sale of items containing mercury to the general public", whether they pick-up or not.

I wasn't going to sell it to the general public, the winning bid was from a doctor.

Any road up, the doctor emailed me after the listing ended it, after which I posted the thermometer to him then he paid me via my PayPal account. So I didn't break Ebay's rule and I didn't sell it to a member of the public.

Fuck 'em, f*ck 'em all!

Reply to
Rob Miller

I'm told practicals are a thing of the past in most schools, not due to H&S, but due to no time left after covering everything that's centrally mandated nowadays.

However, it reminds me of a lecture at university, Materials Science topic. Lecturer started with a balloon (blown up) in one hand, and a pin in the other, and jokingly said "I should really have a safety screen for this!" When he stuck the pin in the balloon and it burst, the knot shot off and got me in the eye, which was quite painful.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Did you get to keep 100% of your compensayshun?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Much of the mercury (on average, 3g per person at cremation) has migrated (harmlessly) to other parts of the body by then, so removing teeth/fillings doesn't work. Many other artificial parts (such as pacemakers) are removed before cremation, to avoid releasing toxic fumes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and it's take-up by plants that converts it into the highly toxic organic mercury compounds, which you neither want to consume directly, nor do you want leaching into your drinking water.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That is sound advice for the instrument that was being sold.

Reply to
Onetap

I'll take that as another excellent reason for not eating vegetables.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My calculations work out that a cola size can (330ml) will cost about =A345=

0 and wiegh about 4.5 Kg from the ebayer.

anyome else come up with that sort of figures.

for me that makes meucury expensive.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ironically, I didn't write that.