Dismantling a bike trailer axle

I need to get at least one drum brake off the end off a chariot trailer axle, in order to replace the suspension parts, which are fubar.

The brake apparently attached with a nut/bolt, which I have removed. There is now a tiny bit of play. It looks like this:

As I've drawn, I think the axle reduces in bore, the brake sits on top, and then there's a collar that keeps it all in place.

Anyone got experience with this setup? I'm guessing that if I get the blowtorch out and heat up the collar, I can probably pull it off - but are they single-use items? Any tips?

Reply to
bblaukopf

If it helps identify it (if I need to get a replacement) collar id=19mm od=22mm, length is about 18mm

Reply to
bblaukopf

I wonder if it's like a car wheel bearing, where there's a specific tool to get the bearing out:

(that's a motorbike, but same difference)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I just found this:

(don't know why it shows small, you may need to click on it to enlarge it).

And that shows that the collar isn't actually a collar - to the right of 52 (the brake drum) there's a sort of plug that goes through the brake and inside the axle. That would fit with what I'm seeing - still begs the question of how I get it out!

Reply to
bblaukopf