dishwasher softener problem

Hi, I have a zanussi aquasave des-959 dishwasher, I have a softener salt problem, the salt light came on so I put some more salt in, after the next wash the light still stayed on so I put tons more in, now the light is still on AND everything has a salty taste to it !!!!
I dont know much about how the softener works other than it uses salt lol, and theres aparently two chambers although I only remember seeing one there is a large plastic upright tray with lots of water channels in it and 2 solenoids wich make a lot of noise. although Im an electronics engineer, but I couldnt see anything other than plastic tubes going to the tub with the salt in.
anyone got any ideas what it might be ? I gues the easiest fix would to be syphon the salt out and use tablets with softener/salt in them.
I had to delve into it once before as the drain pump impeller lost all its fins, I glued on some fiber glass fins but they came off too, eventually I made up something out of tin wich wasnt fins but like a star shape pastry cutter, this seems to work fine and any debris that easily gets through the poorly designed filters wont get jamed so hard it breaks stuff, I also had to put some wire in a ring around it to further keep debris out.
ofc its possible I disturbed something else.
thanks Colin =^.^
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:06:31 GMT, "colin"

The most common cause of this is the top of the salt container where you put the salt in springing a leak either because it isn't on properly or the seal is damaged/missing.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Ive checked that seems to be on tight and seal is ok, water did start to come out when I took the top off wich it never used to though, thanks
Colin =^.^