Dishwasher into sink waste.

Hi

Our dishwasher is connected to the sink waste above the trap as per normal. I can see the logic in this, as the trap prevents drain smells getting to the dishwasher.

However, last week SWIMBO had poached haddock for dinner - and I can't abide the taste or smell of fish.

When the dish & plate were put in the dishwasher, every rinse cycle resulted in a horrid fishy pong coming up from the sink waste.

Any way round this apart from a separate waste?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Put plug in sink (and fill sink with water, and wedge j-cloth in overflow hole) before using dishwasher.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:47:40 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote (in article ):

Did the DW smell of fish afterwards?

That can be fixed with a 75 degree wash if the machine has one or by running it empty with a dishwasher cleaner - can't remember the name but plastic bottle that you put in and plug in the top melts with the heat releasing the contents.

For intra wash mal-odour, I can't really see any way around it but a separate waste (you'd need to get a handyman in to fit one) or curtailing your wife's pescatorial pursuits.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Put another trap in-line.

Flush the thing very hot.

Don't put fishy things in the dish-washer, use the sink.

Don't eat fish.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reminds me of the Peter Parry story of someone who had to keep a sandbag on top of the sink plug to prevent the Saniflow pumping up through the sink wastepipe...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, wash that dish in the sink first.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Take it in down stream of the trap. The pump in the dishwasher will never empty completely, so the remaning water in the machine's wastepipe will act as a seal.

Or, if you're that bothered, make an upstand trap such as washing machines have.

Reply to
Guy King

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:14:58 +0100 someone who may be Guy King wrote this:-

Provided it has a suitable depth to prevent siphonage.

Then the fish smell will come from that pipe:-)

Reply to
David Hansen