dimming LEDs - worth it?

pondering a lighting refit for the dining room.

thinking of having a track system arranged in a square on the ceiling approx 3 feet from the edges of the ceiling, with track spots (most probably with gu10 leds) arranged around the track lighting pictures on walls and the dining room table in the centre.

seen a twin track system that would allow independent control of the tracks and would also allow dimming for one or both tracks and associated spots.

what's the best way to dim leds in such a configuration? and is it actually worth it?

Tia

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

rox 3 feet from the edges of the ceiling, with track spots (most probably w ith gu10 leds) arranged around the track lighting pictures on walls and the dining room table in the centre.

ks and would also allow dimming for one or both tracks and associated spots .

Well I'd use LED dimmers :-)

I would say so, it's not about saving money on leccy every time. You might want reduced lighting for a romatic meal or to watch a scary film . Or you have a headache and just wan't to sit in dull lighting. I even have dimmers in the kitchen as I don't always need full light. I can nuke a whole meal to perfection in almost no light too I should go on masterchef :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mmm as a follow up I've been to the manufacturer's website and this twin circuit track has been discontinued.....

I'm wondering if it might be some incompatibility between running 2 dimmers on the 'circuits'? I suspect there might be 3 conductors in the track...

Anyone have a take on why it's discontinued? Their single circuit track is still made...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes - I have just replaced a leading edge dimmer (simple triac type) with a trailing edge one (Varilite V-Pro) and the former made TCP LEDs buzz, the latter works wonderfully (if you bother to try the 3 driving modes and set the minimum output - they are programmable).

Mode 2 seems to suit LEDHut LEDs rather well and I can dim candles to a speck of light.

Reply to
Tim Watts