Digital indoor aerial

That analogue is on higher power?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are degrees of satisfactory. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But digits don't require as much power for an acceptable signal...

TBH the monkeys that came in to do this work haven't a clue and the company that they are employed by should be contacted and dragged back to do the work properly. Why should this old gent spend his cash on a new telly when one is not required. There is plenty of money sloshy about in the DSO fund for this sort of thing to be done and not line the pockets of cowboys.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the transmitter is close and in direct line of sight maybe the signal is too strong. An attenuator would help in that case.

Reply to
Mark

The analogue is currently 5kW and the digital on some muxes is as low as

50W. Post switchover, IIUC all the muxes will be lifted to around 900W.

Indeed.

Reply to
John Rumm

His carer came around this morning and is now arguing with his social worker (my former colleague) and saying that he needs to get a new TV because that will solve the problem of the digital picture breaking up....

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I agree - but I didn't see any reference to performing this tuning. If it is a sharp picture of lots of squares then this has been done - did the OP select (say) Channel 6 on the tuner and fine tune it. This cannot be disregarded. But your comments do stand. Descriptions of a poor picture and sound are not always totally descriptive.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Sorry, I thought I'd implied that in the OP. I tuned preset 8 into the STB installation page and got a nice crisp steady image. I set it autotuning and it found 16 channels. When selecting them I got a nice crisp steady image of lots of digital squares breaking up and the sound stuttering.

Phoned the Digital people earlier, installing a new outdoor aerial where one does not previous exist is covered, so Ken's got the option of a replacement indoor aerial or a new outdoor aerial.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If he is willing to pay a small extra charge I believe the switchover people will even fit free sat for about £20, probably a better choice.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember jgharston saying something like:

The carer knows just enough to be dangerous.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That seems unlikely (that a new TV will fox it, rather than that they are arguing from a position of ignorance!)

Reply to
John Rumm

You might be better off asking in uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange an aerial installation.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Yes, I recall last year a member of this organisation saying that their 'experts' would fit a uhf output adaptor and outside aerial if it was needed to produce reliable results. I suspect this all fell down on the definition of 'expert' in this case!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They've replied and said that as Ken's receiving 16 channels he's not entitled to an aerial installation. Makes no difference that the channels he receives are constantly breaking up into square boxes and the sound stutters constantly, the box has found 16 channels, end of argument.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

They got back to me and said he doesn't qualify for an aerial: "only when signal is not reliable on terrestrial TV channels (BBC1 =96 Channel 5) will an engineer consider replacing an aerial"

His social worker has spoken to them saying that yes, the analogue channels are ok, but all the channels the digital box can find...

Oh, it can find the channels, you don't qualify for an aerial.

No, yes, it can find the channels, but they're all breaking up into little squares the sound is a continuous suttering.

No, you don't qualify for an aerial.

So, will have to go back to them in September when terrestial TV channels will be nonexistant and see if the digital signal is any better.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Alternatively, the social worker should ask whoever is telling them this to give the name and contact for their manager or whoever is responsible for resolving such a failure by the 'Digital Help Scheme'. Failing that, a trip to the local MP surgery may invoke a letter that will awaken the innocents involved. Alternatively, ask the local CAB to help unblock the relevant pipe of compentence. The clues here may be in the name of the 'Scheme'...

Slainte,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lesurf

Jeezzz don't some real clueless prats get involved in these things!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Err no. You do not seem to understand that if they do an installation of an antenna that will severely impact the profit that they are making.

So a truly clued up person will supply a pretty good excuse as to why they are not obligated to install an antenna.

Remember the employees of the company providing the digital help scheme have to answer to their managers who want their bonuses and of course to the stockholders who want the maximum return on their investment.

Reply to
J G Miller

All these schemes (Channel Four, Channel Five, OnDigital, now Digital UK) used or use subcontractors and the quality is extremely variable. At present we are having many difficulties with our social housing contracts. People are going in and handing out some ludicrously bad advice, and also slagging off our systems unjustifiably.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright