diamond core drilling

Just bought a 2kg bosch sds+ with free chisel bits and 38mm silverline diamond core bit. Put in 2 socket boxes in next to no time with the acustomary SDS-newb grin :-) Went to do the core drilling and I'm still only half way through the blue brick. I got fed up in the end slotted in a small masonary bit and put about 6 holes through the remaining material alround the circumferance, they went through like through butter, so this isn't actually a diamond brick. No hammer action, not too fast, though I have tried various speeds. I'm guessing it would take about 2 hours to get through this one brick. Can some expert tell me if this bit looks okay?

VisionSet

It does not look too bad, not a lot of diamond content, could be they it needs dressing. The easy way to do i it to drill a hole in a a thermalite block.

How much was the core bit??

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

ISTR it took me the best part of an hour (say, 40 minutes drilling) to go through the very hard bricks of my house with a 110mm TCT core bit (and about 3 seconds to go through the inner thermal block wall;-) Bricks vary in hardness enormously, and drilling other brickwork I've found to be much faster. Your blue engineering brick is going to be much harder than even my hard house bricks.

I've done a couple of holes in the recent hot weather, and decided to give the core drill a miss -- used the SDS drill to cut out a half brick instead.

on the front cutting surface. Make sure you frequently clear the debris from the hole.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not many of those knocking around my 1930's semi! I'll keep eagle eyed on my cycle back from work.

20 quid

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Yeah, I'm all for a clean pro finish but I'd like it to be pro like in speed to do th job too! At least the new sds will do a decent job of the more inelegant method!

It'd be nice if I was actually producing some debris!

Thanks, Andrew

Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

The message from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Looks it. I reckon they seem to go a lot faster wet than dry.

Reply to
Guy King

Alas that may be your problem. Silverline are not exactly known for producing the highest quality tooling. While it may cope with normal bricks etc, you may find it just does not have the diamond content to do a hard engineering brick.

Other things to check: Have you pilot drilled right through? If not have you taken out the pilot drill once the cut is started. Otherwise you can find it is actually lack of progress of the pilot drill that is causing the problem rather than the main core bit.

An sds will go through a "diamond brick" like butter! Your blue brick sounds like it may be a very hard engineering brick.

Flat out speed on most SDS drills is usually only 1100 rpm or so - this is usually plenty slow enough unless it is with a massive core bit.

Reply to
John Rumm