Detectors

I known this has been done to death in the past, but can anyone recommend a pipe/cable detector that actually works?

Common sense & a little knowledge are the best detectors of course, but we have new builds going up around here like you wouldn't believe.

Apart from the fun & games of fixing to dot'n'dab walls, the peril of plastic pipework is growing.

Quite common in downstairs cloakrooms is to plumb in the sink with small diameter plastic pipes - which go up centrally above the basin - just where you might put in a screw to fix a mirror.

Another favourite trick is to run the small diameter plastic pipes for a radiator up one side of a window - just where you might want to fix a curtain pole bracket.

These pipes are 'allegedly' supposed to be covered by metallic tape - which doesn't always show up.

I had a Lidl/Aldi detector that worked well, but has died. The B&D one I used for confirmation isn't that good.

So, any suggestions for a detector that actually works?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Zircon Triscanner pro or similar works well for me... although even that can't cope with foil backed plasterboard.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know some water pipes can be heard if you turn on a tap by using a stethascope. At least they use no batteries!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Something radioactive dropped in the loft tank and a geiger counter?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have one ... and works no problem. Zircon Triscanner Pro SL

I have deep studs it finds studs & cable no problem, also rebar in concrete.

If it were for a deep pipe water pipe in garden / road then I would just use a diving rod ..

Reply to
Rick

Thanks Rick. Seems to be an old model, I'll try & find the equivalent.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And how will that help when drivel has fitted two combi boilers:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

With his pipework they won't work anyway!

Reply to
John Rumm

The Bosch range looks good on paper, but I've no experience. Bosch stuff's usually OK though.

Andy Wade

I have a Bosch one and it's very good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've got one and it's the best I've had. And I've had a few over the years.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Which model? The GMS 120 looks nice - but should be for 95 quid! I've got a Zircon Triscanner Pro (as recommended by the late Mr. Hall), but I find its indications a bit confusing at times.

Reply to
Andy Wade

"Inexpensive handheld terahertz cameras could be used to ... find where the studs, wires and pipes are in walls,"

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Oh no where we go ... (assuming you mean a divining rod) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson