Demolishing an Air Raid Shelter

To me, that looks too new to be a wartime air raid shelter...

It seems to resemble the type of building used by mobile radio (not cellphone) firms for their base stations around the 1970/80s.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What is a Levenshulme air raid shelter?

Reply to
alan.holmes

The external brickwork's certainly in very good condition compared to other wartime "military" stuff that I've seen. *Very* thin roof, too - about half what I would have expected. But then maybe the selling point of most shelters was the reassurance they gave, not their actual performance (plus I've heard that a lot of military stuff was far too weedy to withstand much except for a quite far-off blast anyway; it was generally all a little under-engineered for the purpose)

I have seen records of small surface structures like that which lead to much more interesting subterranean things beneath - maybe the OP should be hacking the floor up to see if there's a sealed-up staircase underneath ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I've Just spent 16 hours of my weekend having a go at one of these. Good l uck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far a s caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls t o go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running thr ough the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concre te saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Bl ow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

Reply to
iawake.david

luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

My grandparents had one. They kept it and used it as a shed.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

On Sunday 10 February 2013 22:57 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That surely demands some piccies... Do you have some?

Reply to
Tim Watts

luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

They are all grade 1 listed buildings. You will have to restore it.

Reply to
alan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

You're replying to a post that is over 3 years old you twit, get a grip.

Reply to
fred

My grandparents did the same.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In the 60s it was quite common to see them turned to other uses, but some hardy souls had knocked theirs down. Rather, paid some other hardy soul to do it. In later years I really wished for one as a dead handy shed that could have been made utterly impregnable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

He only started weilding the sledgehammer when the post was fresh.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

od luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as f ar as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 wal ls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a co ncrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that . Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

I had one of these at my first house - I'd considered demolishing it but th en I saw another one close by in the process of demolition. Reinforced conc rete roof, brickwork reinforced with steel rods... I kept it, put a strong door on and used it as a wine store (so dampness wa sn't a major problem). The one problem there was was manoeuvring the cases of wine in since it sti ll had a blast wall.

Reply to
docholliday93

luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

There was an ex Austrian housepainter who would send over people who would knock them down for nothing ... not been around for a while.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Does anyone know of an alternative site or something about that bloke in Jersey (or was it Guernsey) that found a nazi air raid shelter type thing in his garden, main site has most photo's not showing up, and the last entry in 2009 i believe,

Or did he find the lost gold at the back of it and has buggered off to spend it?

Reply to
Gazz

Nothing in google channel islands war tunnels?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running t hrough the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a conc rete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

I gather the recommended tool is called a V2. I couldn't find one down the hardware mongers tho. Could always try ebay.

PS, do prepare the site properly, and keep a safe distance.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

luck! There's about 3 weekends worth of work left. We have only got as far as caving the roof in and taking down half of the entrance. That's 3 walls to go and the clear up. Reinforced concrete roof with steel bars running through the bricks all the way to the foundations. Forget kangos. Get a concrete saw and a road drill. Hit it hard with a sledge hammer. Failing that. Blow it up. You may go to prison,but at least you will have won!

hardware mongers tho. Could always try ebay.

Its a bit of a hit or (more often) miss affair with those. You need to be sure the spotters aren't telling porkies about where they are landing if you actually want to succeed.

Reply to
dennis

better than ebay might be a military surplus store. there's a big one in Nottingham called "Anchor" . There are probably others.

Reply to
charles

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 18:17 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The question is:

How would Fred Dibnah have done it? :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , charles writes

snip

snip

-but can you endure endless George Formby records while you are browsing their stock?

Reply to
Chris Holford