Defeating security Torx

So you've had time to toast, what, 10? slices of bread?

(Even SWMBO agrees that our Dualit toaster takes too long to actually, you know, /toast/ stuff.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I have one of them. It's reliable, just not very good at making toast. I wouldn't buy another.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

You must have something dreadfully wrong. A 4 slot Dualit can do over 100 slices an hour.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They looked okay.

Juice is clearly getting into it cos the handle only stays down if it's plugged in. It's just that the elements don't come on.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

Who wants a percolator?

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

Mine is / was a cheap Moulinex. No sensors coming from the toasting area that I could make out. Control knob controls a variable resistor. I'm guessing it works on time taken to charge a capacitor up.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you need?

Reply to
Huge

Me.

Reply to
Huge

You have failed to put any value on the smug feeling you get from seeing a shiny Dualit in the kitchen. And when you lever the toast out, telling yourself "there, that's proper engineering, that is".

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

A sudden outbreak of prudence in uk.d-i-y. How very worrying.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

Obllcosk, my welder suggestion can take on a nangle grinder any day.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

For most people, toasting is a matter of latency not throughput.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

EC152.CD or similar (what idiot put the name plate underneath?)

It has run dry momentarily a couple of times and overflowed more often but still works.

Biggest problem is my pint mug mon't fit under it, in fact ony one old cup in the house will fit.

Where do I get a pint coffee mug less than 1½ inches tall?

Reply to
<me9

You sure you didn't buy a 415V one by mistake?

Reply to
Huge

What I'd really like is for it to make the bread uniformly brown and crisp, on both sides, in a reasonably short time. In fact, when the middle of one side is brown and crisp, the top and bottom are still soft, and the other side is slightly warm.

It works *slightly* better if you leave it turned on for a couple of minutes immediately before putting the bread in. The instructions however warn against turning it on without bread in.

There is probably some ISO standard bread slice that it works for, just as my dishwasher can allegedly hold 8 ISO standard place settings.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

It's the moderating influence of uk.misc.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

In this case the two are related. 2.5 minutes maximum; I find enough to do getting the Marmite out, plus plate, knife etc. not to mention the kettle and the coffee.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

If you catch it quickly enough, it survives. But my guest left it pumping for several minutes while he wondered why no coffee was coming out (you would think the noise it made would have clued him in, but no.)

It now doesn't build up enough pressure to force the water through the coffee grounds properly (the crema no longer forms on top of the coffee). I think the valve on the bottom has probably deformed. Have had it apart and checked the gaskets on the boiler, which are ok.

it's an espresso machine, you're supposed to be making _shots_ of coffee. If you want pint mugs of the stuff, sounds like you need a filter machine.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A toast-cam. An IPv4 stack. A wifi interface.

I could ask for an IPv6 stack but that would be silly. Obviously.

Reply to
Graham Nye

Hold out for a robot butler, and leave the implementation details to it.

Reply to
Richard Robinson