Daylight simulation/seasonal affective disorder lamps

What exactly is special about these lamps, and is there a reason why their benefits can't be obtained by putting a special bulb or LED into an otherwise ordinary desk lamo?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

They generally used fluorescent tubes with colour temperatures towards the blue end of the spectrum so they emulated early morning light. They also gave out a lot of light.

With appropriate colour temperature LED lights (albeit a lot of them) the same effect should be produced. Blue spectrum incandescent bulbs use a dye on the glass and probably won't produce enough light but an uncomfortable amount of heat.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I don't think there is except the light panels you get are supposed to be better due to the even light area. The effect can be more evident in some people than others. Unfortunately I being blind have very disturbed sleeping patterns so I've never tried them myself. I think a lot of the use has to be at the same time each day to extend day length, its no good saying I have ten mins I'll shove the light on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

there's nothing special about the bulbs, just bluish daylight bulbs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My impression is that the lights are quite powerful. They're meant to simulate daylight, so rather like horticultural lighting. Looking at the adverts for these lights, 10,000 - 30,000 lux seems to be the intensity range. Daylight in the shade and a clear blue sky is about

20,000 lux
As for using 'special' bulbs in a ordinary lamp holder, this, from
:

"Are Full Spectrum and Daylight Bulbs SAD Lights?

No, not at this time. Unfortunately due to clever marketing many people believe they can get a SAD Light treatment just by buying a full spectrum bulb or daylight bulb but this is factually incorrect.

This is misleading as unless the bulb emits 10000 lux they cannot be classed as powerful enough to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder. At this time there is no standard bulb, full spectrum bulb or daylight bulb that is powerful enough to treat SAD. The bulbs emit a pleasant light that can reduce tiredness and give better visual accurity but their benefit in treating SAD is unproven and not based on any medical evidence of which SAD.org.uk are aware."

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If SAD.org are saying that there is no proven evidence that these lamps are effective in treating the disorder why are they then commenting on the amount of light they must produce?

Reply to
alan_m

They're referring to ordinary lower-wattage full spectrum or daylight bulbs, not the higher power 10,000+ lux lamps.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have a SAD light, and it does help a bit with winter blues.

Unfortunately, we have recorded quite a lot of episodes of Vera, and I feel we have to watch those as they are taking up rather a lot of space on the recorder. Those are incredibly sad and depressing, and they totally undo any good from the SAD light. Really, we should only watch them in the summer.

Reply to
GB