Data cabling installation

On occasion I have a need to install structured data cabling (mainly CAT5e type stuff) for the odd client (yes, some of them are odd).

Although I've never seen anything specific pertaining to it, are there actually any regs covering such installations?

Do those regs apply to both domestic installations and those in public places (a primary/secondary school, for instance) ?

Thanks,

Styx

Reply to
Styx

Not yet...

of Part Q of the Building Regulations.

Reply to
dom

Thanks for that. Looks like it is only proposed to apply to dwellings with respect to the *internal* (non-supply) cabling, except for the bit that mentions cable ducts for future provision of cabling.

So, in essence, there are no current (or proposed) regulatory issues with an individual installing data cabling /in/ existing buildings if they are not dwellings (i.e. commercial or public sector premises), but there are proposals to cover "dwellings".

Styx

Reply to
Styx

Going to run out of letters at this rate!

Now why do I suspect the following will dissapear from the final version of the document: "It is not mandatory for a product or installer of a product to be part of a certification scheme in order for the Building Regulations to be satisfied."

Reply to
John Rumm

I think there's a little bit in 16th Edition Wiring Regulations, and would be surprised if there isn't some new stuff when the draft of the

17th Ed. appears. Probably mostly recommendations about avoiding interference - I think that's all the current OSG does.
Reply to
dom

There's surely a requirement for either 50mm separation or 'physical' separation between mains wiring and other (mostly telecomms and networking) wiring. This is as much for safety as interference I think.

Reply to
tinnews

Er not quite. There is nothing on the person but there are regulations that apply to *all* cabling in buildings. Like low smoke etc when installed in ceiling voids above suspended ceilings etc etc. In schools the LEA may well have their own rules...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought the whole Part Q thing was long since dead and buried. It hasn't been revived, surely, has it?

Reply to
Andy Wade

I suspect Part Q is dead. I've not seen any further progress on Part Q for years now. It predates widespread use of WiFi, for instance.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel