Danish oil or polyurethane?

I had a fire in a room in an old house, and the room has been re-built beautifully. The walls are covered in pitch pine (tongue and groove) as they were. Is it best to treat this with Danish (or teak) oil, or with polyurethane?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Danish oil is a lovely finish, and teak oil also, and to spoil something like natural timber cladding with a lump of polyurethane gunk would be a real sin. So, I think you know which finish I'd choose.

Reply to
BigWallop

Seconded.

Danish oil is somewhat varnish-like in appearance but not the horrible plasticy look of polyurethane. It is slightly less water resistant than polyurethane but not enough to matter in this application. it is also very easy to apply, sand slightly, reapply and end up with a really nice finish.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it really is pitch pine, it won't take any finish well. Too oily.

Reply to
stuart noble

I wouldn't call pitch pine oily, more 'resiney' really.

The problems with pine, IME, is its tendency to blotchiness. They all do it and it can be hard to avoid.

I wouldn't share other's enthusiasm for 'Danish Oil'. This is a very loose term and manufacturers versions differ, some are more of a varnish. Anyway I don't consider it a very hardwearing finish. (Just my personal opinion)

Polyurethane again is a bit of a vague term as to some it would include that plastic coating stuff which can be very jammy in appearance.

A good polyurethane applied correctly is a fine hardwearing finish which on furniture could be regarded as a lifetime job. It doesn't have to be high gloss, it can be matted and waxed if preferred.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I asked the original question, but it turned out when I next saw the builder, the pine _had_ been polyurethaned. I must say it looks completely untouched & very nice.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy