Dangerous product alert: Screwfix junction boxes

In article , Pecanfan writes

Brother in Law, who is an ex BS test technician, has many stories of equipment sent for testing which subsequently failed, the manufacturer would be contacted, sent some more and the process was repeated until it passed

Just a thought

Reply to
.

On 15 Feb 2005 09:25:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk strung together this:

You don't.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes - but you may have to penny pinch on the accessories to be able to afford the Part P inspection ....

James

Reply to
James

Which bit? The crimps is genuinely what the sparks at A1 electrical told me. The tape wrapping was all my own idea.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

And talking of dangerous products - bought a selection of Wickes dual switched mains sockets. All same shelf, all same part number, all look similar. Only on closer inspection they aren't. Most are wired L - N - E but one has a slightly different moulding and is wired N - L - E !!!!!

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:24:16 +0000, Richard strung together this:

The tape wrapping, absolutely no mechanical strength wehatsoever.

Reply to
Lurch

interested.

particularly

Unbelievable... Only last weekend did I suffer both problems; namely the failing screws on the junction boxes and the reward-projecting glue gun.

In both cases I put it down to my gym attendance finally paying off but now I'm not so sure...!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Fair enough. Perhaps what I meant was that taping would (might?) make the crimped area behave more like the rest of the cable, i.e. increase the support (that's a better description perhaps) for the conductors to something approaching that of the sheathed conductors. The idea being that the crimped area was not more flexible than the rest of the cable - not that any of it should be subject to flexing ;-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard

snip

They phoned me and claimed to have fixed the glue problem and would refund unused tubes. Didn't offer to refund the used tubes or the messed up gun though.

Anybodu know when Toolstation are going to stock everything Screwitup do so that I can stop using them once and for all ?

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:12:39 +0000, Richard strung together this:

Well, sort of. The crimps should be mechanically strong enough not to need any additional support, if they do then you've not done it right. Tape isn't required, and will not add anything to the connection other than tape!

Reply to
Lurch

True. I was thinking that a length of sheathed cable is fairly stiff. If you remove the sheathing you reduce it's stiffness at that point. So, three unsheathed insulated conductors are more flexible than 3 in an overall sheath. Any opportunity for flexing will, probably occur at the unsheathed section, or have most effect at the unsheathed section. Is that not possible? Taping up the unsheathed section might restore some of the stiffness?

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:26:47 +0000, Richard strung together this:

Well, yes, but you're not meant to use crimps, or any connections, if the joint is to be subjected to movement. It should be replaced with a continuous piece of cable.

Reply to
Lurch

Point taken.

Reply to