Damp wall

Damp wall in an upstairs bedroom, the chimney has been removed and damp seems to be coming through from next doors chimney, so it may not be easy to get to the cause of the problem. I've removed wallpaper which was stained, the plaster looks ok but if we just paint/paper again I guess it will come through again. Could something be done to seal the wall and stop it coming through?

Reply to
Tom

are you sure its damp and not soot

Reply to
Gav

Its easy to seal the wall, but that may just make it worse, as it prevents the normal evaporation process. You may find the wet patch gets weeter and spreads. Usually more sensible to find the source of water and fix it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Tom writes

Probably flashing around the base of the chimney, where it joins the roof, or pointing on the chimney, or some loose slates near the chimney, (or any combination).

Have you advised your neighbour of the problem? If they are not willing to get it sorted, it might be worth offering to pay - your builder not theirs!

Have a look at the roof, (binoculars?), and see what you can see.

BTW I agree that sealing is not the answer. It will make the problem worse.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Incorrectly blocked of fireplace (no flue vent at top _and_ bottom) has this effect too. Having opened up a fireplace which had been blocked off at the top of the flue with no vent (only vented at bottom), I found condensation streaming down the flue walls. It took 3 months to dry out once a vent had been created at the top.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you fit a cowl to the neighbour's chimney to stop the damp from getting in in the first place?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Also comes in through the wall. If it's vented top and bottom, the amount that enters the chimney pot doesn't seem to be an issue. If it's not vented, the amount that comes in through the wall is an issue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Try painting the plaster with oil based undercoat before papering. This doesn't seal the wall (chance would be a fine thing) but does make it slightly less water friendly.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes, though its always struck me as an odd thing. We get something like

56" of rain a year, so you get a solid block of water the width of the chimney pot and 56" long in that chimney pot every year.

NT

Reply to
meow2222