Damn fool electrical questions

Are you looking at the wrong picture? ARW says its a ceramic/quartz element and so do I.

Reply to
dennis

He can always fit an RCD in if he wants to make it safer.

Reply to
dennis

The real danger is getting burnt if its accidentally splashed and the element shatters. There is no significant electrical danger if you can't reach it.

Reply to
dennis

Put it on a DPDT switch so only one can be on at the same time? Or aren't you allowed to use logic in electrical circuits?

Reply to
dennis

Could use an E7 immersion switch.

Reply to
ARW

eg MK5208

ARW

Yup, you can get switches with interlocks to allow only one load at a time.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm pretty sure I can touch something at say 2.3m whilst standing in a bath. I'm surprised the regs don't take zone 2 higher, and/or include "from the base of a bath or shower tray" just to wrap up pathological edge cases.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I could probably fit the thing to the (2.4m) high bathroom ceiling whist standing on the floor! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

An RCD fused spur would be the ideal thing to fit.

However just fitting one RCD to a circuit in the bathroom would not make it compliant to today regs.

Reply to
ARW

I somehow doubt that the OP has either RCDs or equipotential bonding in place to meet the current regs or even the regs 2 editions ago.

We have to draw a fine line at work if the bathroom electrics are old.

The last thing you want to say is "Sorry, it's really not safe for us to fit XYZ without more electrical work", but sometimes you have to.

If I am going to kill someone then it will be premeditated murder not through shit electrical work. I can bend the rules to help people out but you can only bend them so far.

Reply to
ARW
8<

Probably, but better than it is.

Reply to
dennis

It might be.

Reply to
ARW

I think the heater we had would be more lethal now than when it was installed in 1971, the reason being that we installed a shower at one end of the bath. So, people are standing in the bath, rather than sitting.

Anyway, I have installed an IP44 light in place of the heater, and a downflow heater protected by an RCD at the opposite side of the bathroom to the bath.

Really, the whole house needs a re-wire. There are no RCDs in the consumer unit, which has rewireable ceramic fuseholders. I would replace the consumer unit, except that I have no idea how the whole system is wired. There are three consumer units, and it's complicated by the economy 7 wiring. I have no idea why there are 3 consumer units, and nothing is labelled. Nearly all the wiring is hidden behind the board the CUs are mounted on.

On the other hand, I had a look at the lighting circuit whilst I was up in the loft, and the cable appears to be in good condition. I had one of the power points out, and again the cable seemed fine.

I haven't taken the bath panel off, but I bet there's no earth bonding. OTOH, it's all copper pipework, so that helps.

Reply to
GB