daft question about kitchen cupbaord handles

Hi,

The world's slowest kitchen refurb continues at a slow pace. I have a collection of door handles off the old cupboards. They are not magnetic so cannot be steel but although a dull grey colour (the brass plating has long worn off), they seem too heavy to be aluminium but I am far from an expert. If I cut them with an angle grinder there are no sparks. Any idea what they might be? Only so I know which bag to put them in when I go to the scrap yard.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Probably zinc alloy.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Possibly Mazak, aka "shitmetal".

Reply to
Huge

Probably some form of zinc based alloy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'pot metal'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've also come across some that seem to be made from some kind of powder loaded epoxy of some kind, The give away is it smells horrible if drilled or sawn. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Possibly a phenolic resin, such as Bakelite or Tufnol.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks.