DAB unit for car with only vhf?

Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far. May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/honda-dab-radio-adaptors.html
> I suppose it is the spread of DAB replacing VHF repeaters, but these > days VHF Radio 4 only seems to be reliable in towns, not in many of > the gaps in between. My car doesn't have a replaceable "head unit", > but has a USB power supply and a "line in" socket. Any advice on good > DAB add-ons? Or will I still find significant gaps in coverage?
Pure Highway 600. Also gives you a decent quality Bluetooth streaming setup and handsfree for your phone.
We use one in the Toyota Alphard camper, to save swapping out the JDM head unit.

I have a V expensive Blaupunkt in the old car. DAB plus all the others. Which came with a windscreen mount DAB aerial. Totally useless. After taking advice I bought an active DAB roof aerial (which also does the others) and round London and the SE, DAB reception on that is way superior to FM. FM reception on this is I'd describe as normal - some fading etc between high buildings, etc. DAB is generally rock solid. But was awful with the supplied aerial.
--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

DAB aerials are powered either through an additional 12v connection or through the aerial lead from the head unit. If the latter then make sure the head unit is configured to supply power on the aerial lead.
--
bert

Thanks, very useful comment. Oddly enough, a friend turned up today with a new head unit using a windscreen aeriel, he reckons it is fine "in town" but with fading on his commute between Stroud and Bath.
The Honda has a short (but not stubby) roof aeriel, not sure if it is active but presumably optimised around 100 MHz.

Mine works OK but their have been reports of heated windscreens causing problems. Also the aerial must be well earthed onto the body.

--
bert

The Blaupunkt has separate aerial inputs for DAB and everything else. I did try a splitter to use the original wing mounted aerial, but that wasn't much cop either. The pukka DAB one has two amplifiers and two downleads. But cost as much has some head units.
Car aerials make a big difference - no different from others, I expect. My other car has the factory upgrade to a Bose sound system, and FM reception on that is not brilliant. But being a convertible, I've no idea where the aerial is. ;-) I'd expect the radio being somewhat newer is at least as sensitive as the Blaupunkt.
--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Thanks, most helpful. More research required, I wonder whether Honda or an aftermarket supplier does an active DAB replacement for the existing roof aerial.
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:44:38 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is it just me?
When Dave speaks of "The Old Car", I picture him in tweed in a Bently with a couple of guns, gundogs and lackeys! !::^*>>))
London SW

Yep.

I don’t, none of those are rabid Labour supporters.
I seem to be being told that a lot depends on the aerial. and I'd have thought that, as all aerials needs to be in the clear and high as possible. Some DAB front ends are rather deaf. Brian
--
----- -
On 26/09/2017 08:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

Not so much deaf as deafened by strong adjacent channel. Local DAB txs create a coverage hole for high powered main txs.
Incidentally I made a DAB aerial from a cheap car aerial base. Fitted a length of steel wire intended for the Severn Bridge and trimmed it a few mm at a time. Connected to the radio with 75 ohm TV cable. Works very well.
Bill