Cylinder flange - fit from one side only?

Hi, My water supply is from a well , straight to the house via a UV filter. The well is about a quarter of a mile up the hill so plenty of pressure. This will be our 1st summer here and I don't know if the well will always have sufficient water so I have got two 360 gallon tanks (plastic) and a pump to provide a backup supply. I cannot get inside the tanks as they are bottle-shaped and about 7ft high with only a 10 inch screw-on vent cap. One is fitted with a ballcock. I need to connect the two tanks together at/near the base so that they both fill and empty at the same time and thought of using screw-in tank connectors - but they require access to the inside which I haven't got. I spotted a cylinder connector at

'pluming/cylinder Imersion heaters and flanges' which appear to be fitted without needing access to the inside. How is this achieved - if it works then it will solve my problem. Anyone used this type of fitting?

tia, Ken

Reply to
NotMe

7ft height might mean too much pressure for a flange connector which is bearing upon a plastic wall. But I know nothing, as Manuel used to say, and hopefully one of our expert plumbists will be along soon. Good luck.
Reply to
Steve Walker

Ken

Essex flanges do exactly this job, but are aimed at copper h/w cylinders AFAIK. Fitted one recently to our cylinder for a shower take off. Would be worth investigating if these are suitable for plastic tanks. They install from outside only and seal on rubber washers inside and out. My reservation would be the stiffness of the tank wall when tightening.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

They sound like sewage system vessels. Are you sure that the plastic is one that is suitable for water supplies? You don't want plasticiser in your drink water.

It doesn't look possible from the illustration. It appears to have an internal flange that is significantly larger than the hole required. However, at the price, you could afford to buy one to find out. That would also allow you to check whether the thread is long enough for the wall of your vessels; the ones shown are designed for use with copper cylinders.

BTW, you will also need an insect proof air vent in each vessel, to allow air to enter and leave as the water level changes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I think you are considering a hi tech solution for a low tech problem.

Why not set up a permanent syphon. No flanges at all then!

5 Metres of garden hose weighted at the ends.

With your proposal.. failure of (or the need to rapair) one flange would result in losing all the water.

Once the syphon is set up water will flow back and forth all the time. IMHO no chance of an airlock.

David

Reply to
vortex2