Cyclonic irrigation?

Hi all,

Stepdaughter was looking for a bagless cleaner and I found one on Freecycle for her.

Love-em-or-hate-em it is a Dyson DC07 Animal and it was supposed to be working but only 'barely'.

Well, when I got it home I wasn't surprised it wasn't working, I must have fished / tipped 3cwt of crud from within the cyclone(s) and feeder tube.

So, add to that the fairly dirty foam filter and the quantity of stuff wound round the beater / brushes and I was surprised it ran at all?

Anyway, all things that can be easily removed and cleaned have been but I'm not sure that it's completely clean up inside the cyclone itself.

So, is there an approved / tested system for cleaning said out thoroughly please? I've seen mention of washing it out but other people have suggested that would ruin it?

I have access to an air-line if it would help?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. The DC05 I got from Freecycle was handy for cleaning this DC07. All the DC05 needed to get it running again was a new plug (cable broken near the plug). ;-)

Reply to
T i m

As far as I am aware its just plastic - so I can't see much hard from washing it.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what I thought and what I think I've done on other / older / smaller Dysons. From what I've read some folk ended up with an unpleasant smell. Maybe they didn't clean it enough or rinse / dry it sufficiently?

I'll see if anyone else has any experience either way before I do it though (just in case there is summat clever in there). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The only harm would be if you had any water still trapped in it when switched on, and that would be far from obvious. I would suggest instead opening it up by undoing the 3 screws, and cleaning it with a brush attachment on the other vac.

BTW, we've got 3 of these across the family, and this has only happened to one of them, the one which isn't emptied when it's full.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok ..

Ah, I saw the screws but wasn't sure what you would have access to when in there. I thought it might just be the release trigger mech etc?

I suggested to my stepdaughter that that was probably the cause.

It's also obvious it's come from a smoking home. Can you ever get rid of the smell? (Not that I should worry as SD smokes anyway but even she didn't like the smell when we first ran it up). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Blow it out with compressed air, i do this every few months with ours. Works so well SWMBO actually wants me to go and plays with my tools!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Mine does similar sometimes and even entertains my "I can't do that without this new tool and it's only ..." now and again. ;-)

I'll give it a go, thanks.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I read "colonic irrigation", which seemed an unusual d.i.y. topic, but perhaps within the broad ambit of this newsgroup.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I read 'cyclonic irrigation' but wondered if the context was indeed colonic.

Such a procedure is itself worrying...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for that :-(

Reply to
Gib Bogle

pressure washer?

Reply to
John Rumm

No. Been there done that got the t shirt. Bought a 'broken' DC04 in lurid green for a couple of quid from a car boot sale. Quickly fixed with a pipe deblock and a re-terminated mains cable.

It was OK for cleaning up building debris but the nicotine smell was revolting. We tried everything to get rid of the smell - Dettol, Jeyes fluid, washing machine powder, carpet cleaning granules, aerosol air freshner, flowers from the garden, isopropyl alcohol. Nothing worked.

Despite being mechanically and electrically serviceable it got dumped in a skip after a short while and we carried on with the slightly damaged nicotine free DC01 that has been owned by various members of family for years.

Reply to
Mike