cutting metal sheet with angle grinder

Any suggestions for a novice idiot's guide please? I've 115mm and 230mm but only ever used them to wreck metal. I want now to cut some mild steel and am failing miserably to get straight lines and clean edges.

Reply to
Robin

more speed, less pressure. Let it walk through under its own weight

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you using thin cutting blades? Are you using a piece of wood as a guide? For very thin steel it might be useful to sandwich the steel in ply, or to have a sacrificial sheet underneath

Reply to
nothanks

no. Wd that likely make a big difference?

I tried a guide against the guard but on my cheap tool that tends to flex/move.

I saw some videos where people remove the guard and use a guide against the blade but didn't fancy that.

not very thin: 3mm

Reply to
Robin

Using a 0.8mm or 1mm blade will make life easier (but don't load it sideways)

TBH that's what I suggest if you need a straight edge. Most of the sparks will go downwards but wear safety specs and ear defenders, of course. Do this somewhere that won't lead to a repeat of Notre-Dame!

That should be easy with the cutting blades.

Reply to
nothanks

What thickness disk are you using? Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

At far enough away from where sparks can hit UPVC windows/doors and far enough away from your car :)

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks, I'll try that (trusting the Wiki has a section on "Screwing: courage to sticking place).

I'd like to /increase/ the range of the sparks to hit the foxes - one of whom was making off with my gloves when I came out with the Nth coffee yesterday.

Reply to
Robin

During the summer I went into my garden with my slippers on. It had been raining and and they became rather wet. I left them in my kitchen to dry off. Being hot that day the kitchen door was left open.

When I went back a few hours later one slipper was missing. I found it down the bottom of the garden chewed to bits.

For a while the main problem was used nappies being brought into my and the neighbouring gardens.

Reply to
alan_m

I do use a thin blade in a circular saw and that works fine.

Yeah, very dangerous if the blade comes apart.

Circular saw with a thin blade would work fine and is much easier to guide.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You'll do better pressing lightly and moving fairly fast - once you've made a slight groove it's easier to follow a straight line. Thinner discs cut easier but are more likely to break. I tend to leave the guards off my grinders because they often seem to get in the way, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone because they can kick back and send shrapnel flying at you (so don't put your face in line with the disc) or just give you a nasty graze on your knuckles.

Reply to
Rob Morley