Cutting a drainage channel

I am attempting to damp proof our basement. (For a plan see

basement is built into earth at the S end and opens out to the garden at the N end. It is unheated and with minimal ventilation right now. It gets some condensation and during the recent heavy rain it got maybe 1/2 litre of water ingress over 2 days.

The floor is asphalted.

I want to use a Platon or Newlath-type membrane on the walls at the S end of the basement and cut a drainage channel to take away any water.

I have some questions:

  1. What is the best way of cutting it to form a 50mm-wide channel?
  2. What is the best material to line it to provide a smooth run-off?
  3. Are there any cold tar-type products that I can proof it with afterwards?

tia

Antony

Reply to
Antony

I am attempting to damp proof our basement. (For a plan see

basement is built into earth at the S end and opens out to the garden at the N end. It is unheated and with minimal ventilation right now. It gets some condensation and during the recent heavy rain it got maybe 1/2 litre of water ingress over 2 days. The floor is asphalted. I want to use a Platon or Newlath-type membrane on the walls at the S end of the basement and cut a drainage channel to take away any water. I have some questions:

  1. What is the best way of cutting it to form a 50mm-wide channel?
  2. What is the best material to line it to provide a smooth run-off?
  3. Are there any cold tar-type products that I can proof it with afterwards?

tia

Antony

Reply to
Antony

Big channelling machine. Angle grinder is cheaper though, with diamond blade.

tar? or cement sand mix to level the bottom then tar.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton