Cut the grass. One extreme to another

Dogging?

Reply to
Jimk

A month ago If I walked down the garden, water squirted out from under my wellies and up my legs.

Today there are huge cracks everywhere and the ground has set like concrete.

It needs some feeding and moss treatment but the only rain is forecast for tonight. Next week is going to be dry, but the box says don't apply immediately after cutting the grass.

Does anyone else bother to wait for few days after cutting the grass before applying weed-n-feed ?.

We'll have a hosepipe ban soon

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com posted

Much the same here in east Devon. Where do you live?

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

Looks like we've moved to a "Mediterranean climate."

Reply to
harry

Indeed, glorious in the garden today.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I suddenly realised it was colder inside than out, so I've got all my windows open, bleached the winter mould off, and am listening to people socially isolating in the allotments.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not where I live.

Been putting of the first cut of the year ... going to try and run the blade through the knife sharpener, rather than buy a new one, and make the first cut the highest, and then trim it lower before they collect the green waste.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

South East

Reply to
Andrew

Most councils have stopped collecting green waste, surely ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't have a garden waste bin, but neighbours put theirs out on Friday, and I heard a second collection after the recycling one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council certainly haven't nor have they threatened to.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Birmingham sent out an email saying to put garden waste in the regular bin weekly and it will be collected.

It's on my radar to enquire about a refund very soon, since I have every expectation that if I am "decent" and wait until this is all over, they'll try and palm me off by saying "you should have asked sooner".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Indeed, glorious in the garden today.

====

We are in the Scottish Highlands and have had very little rain too:(

Reply to
Ophelia

Yup same here - got the first cut done yesterday. The ground had got as far as soft but firm enough to support the mower! A week ago it was still far to soggy.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ours still seems to be doing it... (then again our "green" waste is also food waste and so is collected every week anyway)

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds sensible. After all, Gove 'approved' going to your allotment. ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

No, but there are two people who arrive in separate cars but have the same shed.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Given the lack of rain generally I would put the treatment on tonight to catch the rain tomorrow. Just done ours, and it was cut a couple of days ago. It may not be ideal but getting the treatment on and washed in seems the lesser of two evils.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In Italy now, if my mate and his wife leave their matrimonial home / bed to take the dog for a walk/ exercise, they both have to wear masks [1] and be at least 2m from each other.

I get why, they could be strangers who happened to be walking in the same direction and if closer than 2m, the Police would 'waste their time' by stopping them to check their interpersonal status.

Cheers, T i m

[1] No specific spec I'm aware of, hand made out of cloth is what they have done.
Reply to
T i m

Our council did stop the green bin collection, but as it is a combined garden waste and food waste bin, many people were complaining that they already had food waste in the bin before the cancellation was announced and that it would all be rotting. They have therefore announced that they will be doing one more green bin collection in the coming week and that people should put food waste into the general waste (grey) bin from then on.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker