Curtain linings for insulation

In debate at the moment regarding curtain linings. The curtains are lighweight and will have a seperate lining, now there is a choice of normal lining (whatever that is) and insulation quality lining. In the real world is this likely to make any significant gain in terms of heat loss around windows, assuming they will actually be closed. The insulation (linings) ones are double the cost of the standard linings.

Reply to
ss

absolutely

The insulation (linings) ones are double the cost of the

We have heavy brocade, insulating interlining and a UV resistant final lining. As far as I can tell a single glazed window with these is BETTER than double glazed/no curtains. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes, it works to an extent. What I find really works is to have the curtains tucked down either behind the rad under the window (but women tend to get all fussy about that) or behind a lower upside-down pelmet affair at the bottom. My principle is that the cold air in the window box should be contained and prevented from spilling out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Odd that considering they are the ones that complain about the cold draft across the floor from the cold air falling off the windows. I tuck the lined curtains behind the radiator, makes one heck of a difference to the room. When you open the curtains you can feel the cold air behind them pour out.

Also if the heating is on the rising warm air is guided into the room not into and trapped in the window reveal. It will come out at the top but it is restricted and you have really warm air next to the cold glass. Unless you have nice deep reveals and have a second set of curtains right next to the window.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In broad terms I'd go along with that but two sets of good lined curtains and double glazing is even better. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That 2nd set can be nothing more than plastic film with light rope along the bottom so it hangs ok, fitted very near the glass. If you want you can put clear on one end of the rod, and silvered mylar on the other, then you can have insulation in winter and reduced solar gain in summer :)

NT

Reply to
NT

And adding shutters is even better!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Q 'arry.

Bricking the window opeing up with a double cavity insulated wall would be even better. B-) Shutters are going a bit to far in this country, it doesn't get hot enough for them to be require to keep heat out or cold enough to keep heat in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice