Crazy Wiring from Thermosaat

Hi All, New to the group, but expeienced in most things DIY...honest!

My problem is that central heating is not responding to the room thermostat. When the thermostat switches on (say when room temp is 18) the system keeps pumping heat to the radiators even when the room is over-hot. At first I thought the wiring or romm stat was faulty, so:

I have checked the wiring from the thermostat to the wiring junction box (that takes the wire from pump, boiler, 3 way valve and cylincer stat). The thermostat wire carries live to terminal 1when CH is on and then creates a switched live feed back to the junction box as it should.

However, the swithched live is still live for quite a while after the room has reached temerature. I have replaced the room stat with a new 2 wire Sunvic stat. It's as though the switched live wire is retaining some power in itself.

The really crazy thing is that the cable also reads live at the spare earth wire which is not connected to anything at either end!! This only happens when CH is on.

All hot water functions OK.

I have even replaced the cable and the new cable does the same, new Sunvic cylinder stat at the same time as new room stat. New Siemens RWB2E programmer, new boiler stat, new 3 way vavlwe 18 months ago...can anyone help as I have been trying to fix this for months now and all I am getting is massive gas bills.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
cooperman

What are you using to measure the voltage?

Reply to
dennis

Did this system ever work properly, or is it new to you, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm using a mains tester screwdriver which goes bright orange on both the live and earth wires when tested separately.

Paul

dennis@home wrote:

Reply to
cooperman

System has been in the house since I bought in new i 1989. So it all used to work OK

Paul

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Reply to
cooperman

Please try not to top post.

Dave

Reply to
gort

OK throw it away before you trust it and someone gets hurt! (seriously - those things are a menace)

Have you got a multimeter? Even a simple analogue type will do?

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not an expert in this area but this kind of thing happened to me a while back and I discovered that someone (I suspect a cute three-year old with big eyes) had turned the frost protection thermostat way up. Took me a week to find it!

Andy.

Reply to
jakeninetynine

I'm not an expert in this area but this kind of thing happened to me a while back and I discovered that someone (I suspect a cute three-year old with big eyes) had turned the frost protection thermostat way up. Took me a week to find it!

Andy.

Reply to
jakeninetynine

No cute 3 year olds here just 2 forty somethings who realise thta they have a heating problem!.

Reply to
cooperman

Armed with a mains tester that does not give false positives. (a small bulb [1] in the end of a bayonet holder wired to a couple of simple test leads), real diagnosis can begin.

Say a 15W pigmy type.

Reply to
Ed Sirett